How do feed stores make money on chicks.. Or do they?

anotherusername

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2015
Do feed stores make any money on baby chicks? Or is it just a loss leader to get you in the door hoping you will buy feeder/waterer/food/etc... and be a returning customer?

When some places are selling the chicks for $3-$4 and the online hatcheries are selling them for $2-$2.50 in quantity, then tack on shipping, I don't see how any money is made.

The chicks themselves are pretty much a loss as far as profit (though keep in mind that the larger retailers bargain a better price than jo-blow customer and order in very high volume) - but they are the "giveaway" that then gives the feed stores a customer that spends plenty of $$$ on all the "stuff" that comes with having chicks and that carries on as you are then in need of feed, etc for the duration of you having a flock.

Absolutely! Next time you wander into a feed store during "chick days" notice all the prominent floor displays of chick gear. Waterers, feed dishes, medicines, treats, vitamins, books, even chicken coops and brooder kits.

And I swear they amplify those chick-chirping sounds aimed right at the entrance to the store that draws you in like the smell of fresh baked bakery goods directly over to the chick tanks. I wouldn't put it past them to capitalize on how powerless people are when they hear the sound of peeping chicks.

Absolutely! Next time you wander into a feed store during "chick days" notice all the prominent floor displays of chick gear. Waterers, feed dishes, medicines, treats, vitamins, books, even chicken coops and brooder kits.

And I swear they amplify those chick-chirping sounds aimed right at the entrance to the store that draws you in like the smell of fresh baked bakery goods directly over to the chick tanks. I wouldn't put it past them to capitalize on how powerless people are when they hear the sound of peeping chicks.

Lol, the store chain here puts little chicken footprints on the floor from front door to where the chicks are, can't help but follow the trail, right?

Lol, the store chain here puts little chicken footprints on the floor from front door to where the chicks are, can't help but follow the trail, right?

Thats hilarious. Is it extremely obvious? Brown floor with fluorescent yellow footprints or something?

Do feed stores make any money on baby chicks?  Or is it just a loss leader to get you in the door hoping you will buy feeder/waterer/food/etc... and be a returning customer?

When some places are selling the chicks for $3-$4 and the online hatcheries are selling them for $2-$2.50 in quantity, then tack on shipping, I don't see how any money is made.

All the money is made on the accessories. Such as Bedding, Housing, feeders & waters, food, grit, treats, medicine, probotics, vitamins, ect. And chicken owners need revolving feed. It's a cycle. Think about it. ONE chick needs feeders,waters, heat lammp, chick food, grit, medicine ect. That's where the big money's made.

These are my first chicks but I'd assume they are just like every other animal, the purchase price is nothing compared to the money you spend on feed/upkeep... They are in it for the long haul
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom