How do hens show dominance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tellynpeep, Mar 24, 2009.

1. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Do hens mount each other like dogs do to show dominance? I watched my Blue Andalusian hen mounting one of the smaller girls today, and it looked just like a roo breeding a hen. She is the top of the pecking order, but I was surprised to see this. Hormones, maybe? Has anyone else seen this?
    Thanks!

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yes, she is establishing her place in the pecking order.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My dominant hen, who is a standard, just pecks the crap out of my two little banty girls. No mounting needed, they run screaming from her beak. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Mine fight just like roos.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My Rhode Island Red hen who is "The Queen" of the yard does this to all new hens. This the "requirement" that all new hens have to go thru with her. She is letting them know who is "The Queen" and not to get any bright ideas about taking her role in the barn yard. They quickly get the hint and no problems after that. So yes, she is establishing pecking order.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Mine too. Actually my girls fights would put a rooster to shame.

7. Jenn907

Jenn907 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Wasilla, AK
    I just had (what I am still HOPING is) one of my hens mount another hen last night. I am SO CONFUSED!! Do hens really do this?? I have watched them all since I got them at 4 weeks old... they all look and act the same for the most part... but this ONE walks more upright, is slightly bigger (she/he has really big feet!!) - but is not aggressive and is not crowing. My flock is around 23 weeks old and I had my first eggs starting last week (Happy dance!).

Should I be worried about this behavior, or just resign to the fact hat one of my hens is in fact a cockerel?? Please advise, ANYONE!! Thank you so very much!!

8. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I've never seen such dramatic behavior from my own hens, but they do have a few roosters in the mix to keep them in line. My bossy girls will occasionally chase after or grab a few feathers from the lower-ranking girls, but that's it.

I know that dominant hens, in the absence of a rooster, will take on some male behaviors, including crowing, "breeding," and guarding. Maybe your girl is just trying to do her duty to the flock. Chickens are weird little creatures, but I guess everything they do makes sense to them. So long as they aren't violent, there's no harm in letting them resolve their interchickenal dramas on their own.

9. Jenn907

Jenn907 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2012
    Wasilla, AK
    Interchickenal dramas! I love that!!

Thank you very much for replying. I am going to be watching them like a hawk (well, not REALLY a hawk, that would scare them!) and see if I can once and for all determine if I have a roo in the henhouse!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by