How do I acclimate quail to living outdoors?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by owlett5, Jan 19, 2014.

1. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    Like the title says, I'm trying to find out the best way to move quail outdoor after they have been brooded indoors.

Right now the babies are 2 weeks old, so clearly not ready to go outside yet. I've heard they would be ready to go outside around 4 weeks, however since I live in Maine, and we still have plenty of minus zero nights and days ahead of us, I was wondering if they needed to acclimate first.

Should I start leaving windows open in the room they are growing in starting at 4 weeks and then eventually put them outside?

Anyone have any experience with moving quail outdoors in the dead of winter?

2. USAmma

USAmma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Do you have a garage? I don't live anywhere near as cold as you, but I have heard people keep quail in their garages or sheds with a heat lamp.

3. owlett5

owlett5 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2007
    Turner, Maine
    Nope, no garage. They are going to be staying in the top floor of the barn once they are big enough, so they'll be out of the worst of wind if the weather gets sour, but it's still dang cold up there some days. The barn is open in the back so that horses and sheep can come in and out when they want to. But it still gets freezing temps in there all the time.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quail babies need to stay inside til they are 6 weeks old. Keep lowing the temp of the brooder each week by 5 degrees until they are used to cooler room temps. If it is really cold at this time, you might slowly move outside by starting out in the garage as USAmma has mentioned. You will also need to take the heat lamp out with them for a few weeks. Being winter, they are still going to need some night time heat only for a while, until they can learn to work their own internal heaters.

5. Ntsees

Ntsees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    A better method is wait until they are fully feathered and put them out in the spring/summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by