How do I add more vitamin A & K to diet?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by skooby, Feb 28, 2009.

1. skooby

skooby Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    San Andreas, Ca
    I believe I need to do this for one of my chickens. Right now she gets laying pellets with a little cracked corn thrown in and all the household scraps. She is also running free and wild on our acreage during the day. Since I have never had a problem chicken before this is puzzling for me. Our local feed store is actually a hardware place and they haven't been very helpful there. I am hoping you can tell me what to do for her.

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    What makes you think you need to add this for one chicken and what do you think it is going to do?

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Sometimes we tend to over-medicate our birds when it is best to let nature take it's course. There's nothing wrong with adding vitamins when you feel they are confined and not getting enough. Still, one bird should not be a reason to get a lot of medications and supplements.

4. skooby

skooby Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    San Andreas, Ca
    Out of my four girls I have one who has blood spots in her eggs. Not a few spots but many, like ten or more. I posted with questions about the cause and everyone seems to think she needs more vitamins. Cause being blood vessels rupturing in the ovary or oviduct as the yolk passes. I can't help but think this isn't very good for her. This is also listed on http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/28/blood-spots Which was a recommended site from someone here that I found to be very informative.

I don't mind giving supplements but would prefer not medicating her if I don't have to.
    If you have other ideas I would very much appreciate them.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i think Kale is high in K....

6. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I'm surprised that free range chickens would have a Vit A deficiency as it comes from Grass and vegetation , also corn and layer feeds. How old is your feed? You may want to buy some new feed that you know is fresh. It could be that where you are getting feed, they don't have a high turnover of feed and it's older. Not sure about K.

Nancy

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Dark leafy green vegetables are where you'll find vitamin K. You might try offering some fresh spinach leaves or brocolli to your hens.

8. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    So you ruled out all the other possibilities on that list? Being that it's only one hen, maybe she got into soem kind of fungal toxin while free ranging? I think I would segregate her, monitor her eating and see if it still happens.

Good luck

Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by