how do i add ventilation?- pics....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by newchick13, Sep 25, 2011.

1. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I have a coop that I ordered and I'm learning that there are some things that need to be adjusted...specifically the ventilation. My coop is 8x4 with a people door and a window opposite each other on the short ends. There is a drop down vent that is about 3'' by 6'. The coop was adequately ventilated this summer, but I am a little worried about the winter. I don't want to leave the window cracked or the vent open because it is right at roost level. I thought about adding a cupola, but my roof line is only 8 ft long, and I cant find one small enough and I'm not handy enough to build my own. I only have a few inches of space above the window and no room over the door which i could cut out and cover with some wire...I think. Help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    I'm really not too smart, but
    how about the vents that are used
    in bathrooms, as in the fan vent?
    Just a thought.

3. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    That is begging for a roof vent that you'd find in the roofing section of your home improvment center. Just get a manual one that you can open and close as situations call for. They're easy to install with shingles and they really pull out the warm moist air.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, either a couple of standard roof vents (look sort of like mushroom caps) or a 10 ft section of ridge vent. Either option is affordable and anyone familiar with roofing or experienced in roofing could install in less than an hour, easily.

5. newchick13

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    Thanks!

6. MadChickensVT

MadChickensVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Middlebury, Vermont
    How many birds?

7. newchick13

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    13. I think I'm heading to Homeboy Depot today to see what I can find for vents. I did see some small 2 in circular vents that would probably work. I'd put two on each end for a total of 4.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Roof vents would be great. The other place you could add venting is above the windows, at the peak of the roof.

9. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    here is my vent and simple

[​IMG]

10. newchick13

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    nice set up Steve. what's the yellow hangy thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by