How do I administer a shot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aubreynoramarie, Jul 16, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Penicillin. What happens if an air bubble is in there? Where is the best spot. Do I just stab him?

2. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:Turn the syringe with the needle up and push out all of the air, if an air bubble should get into an artery it can kill him. Are you giving Petey a shot for his injuries? The best spot would be between the leg and back in the muscle is best for this. Don't stab him but instead push the needle and once the needle is fully inserted just push the plunger in and pull out the needle.

Hang in there!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  4. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    dawg53, Thank you so much for that link. I don't even have my chicks yet (this coming week sometime) but I have put together a first aid kit based on posts I've read here on BYC just so I have things on hand in the event of some emergency later on. I have yet to find a vet who specializes in poultry within 45 minutes of where I live so I have been searching for information on injecting poultry with antibiotics - just in case. This is by far the most thorough of all posts, websites, etc and you have save me more hours of searching!!

I don't want to be doing internet searches with a dying chicken in my care!!!

Thanks again!!!!

AWESOME

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Agreed, thanks so much guys.

That entire post not just the part about injection really helps my situation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by