How do I Animal\Fox proof a run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sheena1st, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Sheena1st

Sheena1st New Egg

Mar 13, 2012
    I live in Portland, Maine and own 3 silkie hens. They have lived inside for a year and I'm looking to move them outside now that its spring. I bought a nice secure coop and run from ebay and I'm wondering what I need to do to prevent borrowing animals from getting in. I read somewhere that I should dig about a foot into the ground and put wire under. but might placing large logs around the run work too. because in Maine digging is really hard.

2. TheChickMan

TheChickMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    logs should work. but either secure them or get them big enough so they cant be rolled away. also you might have a problem putting a log in front of the run door if you open it very often.

3. suezqz_64

suezqz_64 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    If possible, I would lay down an apron of welded wire about 12" all around the pen, securing the edge under the pen wall. They won't be able to dig through that and it should discourage them from repeated attempts.

4. TheChickMan

TheChickMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2012
    taht should work just fine hope you have luck and make all the raccons and foxes in your area mad. haha

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    do you have a link for the coop you bought? maybe we can give more tips on proofing it as well. Those Ebay coops are not the best.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    It depends on what you think might come calling. You might be finding out what sort of wildlife you did not think exist in your area.

I laid an apron of 12x12 pavers. So far, my fortification is sound enough against foxes, hawks, coons and ground hog. I can imagine bear tearing through but so far, no visit by bear.

7. suezqz_64

suezqz_64 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2011
    Short of an electric fence, I don't think there is much that will stop a bear that wants to get through something. lol Thankfully we don't have them where I live.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by