how do I break a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ga_goat, Sep 7, 2010.

1. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I have a black star who has hatched 3 sets in a row , today I removed all the unhatched eggs , and put the 3 that did hatch in the brooder , cleaned the nest and this afternoon she was on one of the other nests with 2 eggs .
    My question is ,, is there a limit at which she will just set herself to death ???
    she gets off the nest at least once a day and eats/ drinks but is back in 4 or 5 min .
    I went for 10 years without a setting hen and finally decided to get an incubator now I have had 2 regular and i crazy broody hens this year ,, go figure ....

2. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I had a White Rock go broody and I DID NOT want any lil fuzzy butts everyday I would get her out of the nest box and put her out in the run with the rest of the flock it took a couple days of repeating this that she finally got the hint! collect all your eggs daily do not leave any eggs at all!
    I have heard of some on BYC taking the broody hen and putting her in a seperate lil hutch wit ha wire bottom and no bedding only food and water and leaving her there for a couple days. put her back with the flock and if she goes back to the nest boxes, then she needs to go back to the wire hutch for another day!
    Depends on u which u wanna do!! Good Luck

3. ga_goat

ga_goat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Lowndes County Ga
    I will try moving her , I do have another pen ( smaller only 12x12) that is empty now could move her away from the others for a week or so , or until she starts laying again ,, but she has been with all the other chickens all along .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by