How do I brood in the coop??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ogdenfarms22, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    I use a mama heating pad for heat, I have 7 other chickens all under 3 months old already in the coop. I would like to brood these guys in the coop but how do I go about this? A chicken wire pen that the big girls can't get in or use the brooder plastic Ben still? When do I let them roam etc. Thanks

2. twigcrafter

twigcrafter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Orange county NY
    I did that before.
    I, well my husband, caged off a section of the coop for the little ones. They had a tiny door that they could get away from the bigger chickens. Worked great.

Make sure you put something on the top so the big hens can't poop on the little ones. We put a piece on plywood on the cage top. The bigger hens liked to sleep on top of the cage because they could feel the heat.

Also this was during the Summer.
    good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well here it is! The mama cave has a bunch of shredded paper on bottom and a ton of pillow cases on top to mimic a mama hen. They did great their first night! Came out in the morning and started scratching like the big girls.

1 person likes this.
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Looks good!

I have a side-by-side setup because my big girl run isn't protective enough for chicks. If I were doing it over, I'd make both runs from hardware cloth and put doorways that could be opened so chicks could pass between their house and the big chicken domain easily. I can see that they want to join the flock and I think they'd be accepted now (2.5 weeks) but they're too small yet to be safe from things like rat snakes.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by