How Do I Build This Run???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rapunzil, May 27, 2010.

1. rapunzil

rapunzil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    I have an 8' x 8' toolshed that I turned into a coop and I need to add a run to it, but have no idea how to begin!
    This is what I envision:

The run will be about 7 feet tall to accomodate a full-size screen door. I'd like my girls to have PLENTY of room to roam, so ideally the the dimensions would be around 20' x 20' and 7' tall to accomodate a full-sized screen door. This way I can easily walk in and take care of cleaning, watering, etc. in the run. The only problem I forsee is that the run would be built on a slight slope. The ground is not level.

If someone has built a similar run, could you post back detailed instructions please? I have no clue where to start to build it or what materials I need.

Thank you so much!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The possibilities are just endless really, so it's hard to find a place to start. I'm guessing that you're not planning on a covered run??? Why don't you browse the coop section (coop designs up at the very top) and look at the runs folks built with their coops. Maybe this will give you a starting point, so that your can narrow your questions down a bit [​IMG]

3. rapunzil

rapunzil Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    I figured I would cover 1/2 the run so they can get out of the weather, and the other half would be just netting over top.

What kind/size of wood should I get? How do I frame it out? Do I need concrete and dig holes, or can I just build it right on the ground? How would I attach it to the coop?

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    OK - I have one very similar to what you want - mine is 25 x 25 & not covered (yet).

To start off - you don't need the fence to be 7ft tall. You can if you like - but that is seerious over kill. Most large breed birds can't get over 4ft - mine is 5ft & they have never been able to get out.

I placed an 8ft 4x4 post every 8 ft - with a little extra in the end to make it reach 25 ft. Since you are going 20 x 20 you could put one every 10 ft & that would be just fine.

You don't need concrete for any posts except the one you are hanging the door on. The weight of the door will cause your post to sag or lean & you don't want that.

If you are located in the great white north you need to dig down 3 to 4 ft to set your posts. I'm in central IL & sent mine down 30 inches (2.5 ft).

Dig the holes with post hole diggers - can be found at the hardware store for less than $20. They are kind of a clam shell design. I measure the deapth I want on the digger & put a peice of tape on them so I know when they are deep enough.

Once you did the hole - set the post in it & start packing dirt in. Make sure the post is level on all sides as you go. Use a 2x4 or other board to pack the dirt as you go. Don't fill the hole & then try to pack it - that won't work. Put in 3 or 4 inches of dirt & then pack.

Once all the posts are set have your fence (welded or braided wire of your choice) & roll it out next to the fence. I cut mine to match each side & didn't try to bother with going around corners.

Buy U shaped fence nails to attach it to the posts - just pound them in with a hammer.

After the fence is up - you need to work on the top - I don't yet have a top on mine - but since I lost a bird last summer to a red tail hawk I've been planning one. I finally have the materials - but it is 4th or 5th on the current to do list.

You will want to frame between the posts (10 ft appart = 10 ft boards). & then run 'rafters across the run. 20 ft is too long for a normal board so you will need support posts in the run to hold up the wire. Might be best to put them every 8 or 10 ft as you did the sides. Make sure they line up with the outside posts & attach the rafters.

From the top it should look like a tic-tac-toe # grid.

Then roll the fence/roof/netting over this & attach to the sides & rafters using staples or the same U shaped nails.

Tons of work - but your birds will be secure.

Good luck

5. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I forgot to mention - mine is on a slight hill too - just follow the hill - don't worry about making one side level with the other - it is not necessary unless you plan to build a roof like a pavilian.

6. midget_farms

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Here are some pics - mind you its been in place a couple of years now - so its not as nice as it used to be - but you will get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fiddleblue

fiddleblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Posts set in the ground are most durable, but if you would be building a "roof" to the structure, you could also possibly use do what I did and simply build several 2 by 4 8 ft by 7 ft "rectangles" which you then attach to each other, side by side, end to end, to form the sides of your run. You affix hardware cloth or welded wire to the rectangles. The "roof" 2 by 4's then would hold the walls together and you wouldn't need posts set in the ground, maybe just some steel rods set in the ground to anchor some of the rectangle legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by