HOW DO I CALM DOWN A ROOSTER

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by barred rock, Apr 27, 2008.

1. barred rock

barred rock In the Brooder

i have a dominique/georgia giant rooster and every time i try to go in the coop he tries to fight and he starts to peck and flog me i have tried every thing please help

2. mmajw

mmajw Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Maybe bringing treats to him would help. Maybe when he realizes that you are not a threat he will relax. Talking softly and making slow movements as well is a good idea. Hope this helps.. [​IMG]

3. Flyman39

Flyman39 Songster

Dec 24, 2007
    West Virginia
    Search up Rooster Reds Post on Rooster behavior. There are ways to tame him. You have to first understand Chicken behavior then apply that to being the dominant rooster every time you get around him. Read Rooster reds page.

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  5. Bismac

Bismac Hatching

Apr 22, 2008
    The man I got my chickens off says his rooster wants to fight eveyone so he picks it up at every opportunity giving it big cuddles. The rooster (who is expecting a fight) gets lots of love instead and gets confussed and finally gives in thus calming down. Its up to you if you want to try but I wouldnt like too.

6. TreeFever

TreeFever Songster

Feb 17, 2008
    MA
    At my job, to calm down a chicken before using them in a program I've always been told that you hold them very close to you and take one finger and make a circle motion around their head at their eye level. Supposedly the chicken sort of gets lost over seeing one thing in one eye, then in the other, and they sort of zone out. Seems to work for me XD sort of like chicken hypnosis haha

7. mmajw

mmajw Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    At my job, to calm down a chicken before using them in a program I've always been told that you hold them very close to you and take one finger and make a circle motion around their head at their eye level. Supposedly the chicken sort of gets lost over seeing one thing in one eye, then in the other, and they sort of zone out. Seems to work for me XD sort of like chicken hypnosis haha

What do you do for work????/​

8. kevin2010

kevin2010 Songster

Mar 22, 2008
    tucker wv
    are you afraid when you go in to the coop because my neighbors always tell me they can tell if your afraid i dont know about this but i always try to show my roo that i am the dominant one when i am in the coop but i think that that is what made him so weird but i like him any way and now i have 7 or more roos and i bet they will get alot bigger than him he is a barred rock they are light brahmas

9. McGoo

McGoo Songster

I am no expert, but I have a roo who seems to get frisky and wants to attack me. I do a couple of things... 1. I bring treats and distract him. 2. I catch him if he attacks and carry him around... and scratch him. 3. I have a fishing net that I sometimes carry. He usually steers clear of me when I've got it.

Today after bad behavior, I used the net to catch him and I carried him around until he calmed down.

ps I read the info on 'trying to train a rooster.' It mostly states that you need to carry them around for 1/2 hour each time. That kinda time I don't have, but consistency is essential.

Good luck.
    Alternative - put him in the freezer and get a new one. they'll be quite a few roosters available soon. I've got a few that'll be in need of homes.

10. barred rock

barred rock In the Brooder

im not afraid especially when i have my stick he tries to steer clear of me but when i dont its attack mode so ill try to push him to the other side of the run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: