How do I care for my broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Miyashi, May 7, 2011.

1. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Phoebe, my silkie/OEGB has gone broody...again...some more. The weather has been decent, so I figure, she's allowed now.
    Do I have to feed her and give her water, does she starve herself for this period of time? I love her to pieces so I want to make sure all is well.
    She's just a little thing....all of my eggs will be mutts (save one) my Roo is a silkie, the other is a D'uccle...I hope that won't be a problem. I'm really worried!
    Any pointers would be great!
    [​IMG]
    That's her, last fall.

2. BANTAMWYANDOTTE

BANTAMWYANDOTTE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Kentucky
    Hens must have a constant supply of food and water during the brooding procsess because they only get off the nest once a day to use the bathroom, eat and drink. I always provide sugar water to my broody girls to prevent high weight-loss that is usually common from broody hens. I also am sure to check on her daily to make sure she is still alive. As long as your hen is healthy she will do fine. The trick is constant food and water. There is no way to predict when she will come off the nest. On colder mornings she may not at all. Just do the basics.....FOOD AND WATER. Then let your chicken do what chickens have been doing for thousands of years. This procsess is best handled from a "HANDS-OFF" standpoint. The less you are involved with her brooding the more likely it will be a sucsess

3. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
  4. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    xD
    I know they've been doing this without our help for some time.
    I just want to make sure she's okay through all of this.
    I didn't know if the got up much at all or anything. This is my first run letting her do this.
    She wants to be a Momma so bad. Silly little bird.
    I'll check on that link and the sugar water thing sounds like a great idea!
    Thank you! ^_^

5. Hottchick

Hottchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    She's adorable!

6. Miyashi

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Thank you!
    I need a more recent picture of her, she's filled out a bit. She's got the blue ears, you just can't see it.

7. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    I can see a tinge of blue! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by