1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I catch a free range rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickadee-23, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have 3 free range roosters and 2 of them just started fighting so i need to seperate them cause they are mixed games one is small so im wating to catch him to put him in a pen with some bantam hens i have, i usualy catch my chickens at night, but my roos roost in a tree kinda high up, so how can i catch them is their another way without making him disliking me i already have bonded with them thy keep a distance from me tho, but i can get pretty close as long as i dont try to catch them any ideas would be great thanks [​IMG]

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Good question. I have half games and they all roost high in the trees and I haven't had any luck getting them. They still roost up there in dead of winter. Good luck catching them.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could try baiting a Have-a-heart trap with corn (animal control will usually rent or lend them if you don't already have one) or net them if you can get close enough. A trusty ladder and flash light will work if all else fails (if you can reach them). Good luck!

4. Peplers chicks

Peplers chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I built my own trap, with a wire mesh square trap that is held up with a stick, placed some corn inside, once he enters I pluck out the little stick with a rope attached

5. Chickadee-23

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the help everyone i manage to reach him with a net at nite so now hes in a coop with my bantam hens i put him on the roost perch with hopefully all goes good in the morning!! :)

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Very good. How did he do?

7. Chickadee-23

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Hes doing great, hes actually happy since he has 2 ladys to fall in love with they are already in love with him, but my girls been with out a roo for almost a year now so i know they happy this year im add 2 more to the flock hopefully that goes well too, thanks everyone :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by