How do I catch and hold my baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LeafLover, Jun 16, 2011.

1. LeafLover

LeafLover Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Well, I can lock the hen (mom) away so she doesn't kill me, but I cant catch the tiny fur balls! I've been talking to them, and they should recognize me ( I've taken millions of pics since they popped out of their eggs) and I talk to them...but when I go to hold one, they run and scream bloody murder! I want to hold them so that I can hold them when they are bigger.
    Any suggestions?

2. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Just hold them. Even if they run away, catch them, hold them in your hand. even though they have gotten used to you talking to them, and watching them. When you go to pick them up they're like, "Hey! What on earth you' doing!!!" Just hold them, they will get used to you.

Okay okay! But if you don't wanna go threw all that, then do what I did [​IMG] )

Whenever they get close to you, feed them their favorite treat. (mine was cottage cheese) If they don't get close to you, then just put it in your hand and wait there. Then, every time you come out, they will run to you and say "Feed me feed me!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    Hm, cottage cheese? Will do! Should I keep the hen away? Or let her in on the action?

4. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    corner them and put your hand over the wings. Be very gentle, the wings are fragile. Then put your other hand under them for their feet. After I hold mine for a little bit I put them close to the ground with my hand open and they'll perch on my hand for awhile.

5. chickenbarn-gal

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I'd keep the hen away. Depends on how she is when you touch her chicks. If she gets all pircky ( or should i say, pecky [​IMG] ) then take her out of the equation.

6. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    klen: I've tried to corner them, even in their dog house coop! they are just soooo fast! They fly right by me, well...run while flapping those little wings and squealin'. But, thanks.

chickenbarn-gal: Seems I should keep her away then lol. She growls at me when I get near.

7. chickenbarn-gal

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:Yeah, defiantly don't keep the mom w/ you when you are with the chicks. Good luck with your chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. LeafLover

Jun 16, 2011
    Tennessee
    okey dokey! Also, when will she stop guarding them?

9. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    how old to feed cottage cheese? mine are 11 days old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by