1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I catch my egg eater?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gmc, Nov 28, 2007.

1. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    My hens are just now starting to lay, yahoo! I have one hen that likes to eat the spoils tho', but I can't catch her. I was close the other day but she jumped out of the nest in with the others and I'm not sure which one it was. I am afraid this is going to be catching....chicken see, chicken do. I work during the day and the eggs are gathered during the afternoon. Is there a witty way to catch or determine which hen it is? Has anyone had smillar (nightmares) experiences?

Thanks in advance
    gmc

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I think you'll have to catch her red handed or see if you can spot one with yoke on her beak.
    A good way to stop that is blow an egg out so it's hollow and put something really disgusting in it, like tobasco. The egg eater will think she's found a tasty meal and break it open, only to get a beak full of something nasty! I put golf balls in the nests and that stopped my egg eater. She probably got a head ache after trying to peck open one of those!

3. gmc

gmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2007
    Clay City, KY
    Hahahaha, golf balls? I am sure she will appreciate the headache more than the stiff neck that I had planned for her. Thank you for the reply.
    gmc

4. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    Try laying an egg in the middle of the pen (making sure everyone sees it). Your egg-eater should run over and start pecking it with determination to break it. Other hens may take an experimental peck or two but they are only "tasting" it. The egg-eater will break the shell with one or two good hits. Be ready to squirt her with something that will stay on her for a bit: oil (cooking oil that is) or kool-aid if she is white. Then when she mingles with the other hens you will still be able to tell which one she is.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, I'd say trap nesting, but you probably don't have enough nests to let one stay in there till you find out. Maybe on a weekend or something. Then let her out as you check to make sure her egg isn't broken.

6. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    Quote:this is what i did. and then i got rid of her and put in the golfballs in the nest and in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by