How do I clean diarrhea off of my chicks?

Haley Clark

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Western North Carolina
My chicks are 3 days old and 2 of them have diahrrea all over their little butts how do I clean it off without harming them??
1f423.png

Hi :)
welcome-byc.gif

I'm not sure but I would just use some warm water and gently wash the butt. You should search for something called ''Pasty Butt''. I think the way people clean their chicken would also work for you!
Good luck!

When I have to deal with dirty butts I just hold their tushies under the running tap. Some nice warm water usually takes it off without much effort. If there are clumps, squeeze them off after the water has softened them, don't pull or you'll take chick down with the poop (not to mention you'll have one ticked off baby). I do it in the bathroom where its warm so they don't get chilled. A few swipes with a paper towel or washcloth to help dry them and back in the brooder they go :)
Nikki

Adding a teaspoon of ACV (apple cider vinegar, the non-pasturized, organic kind that you'll find in your grocery store's health food isle. Bragg's is a common brand) per quart to their water does an amazing job of putting a stop to pasty butt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom