How do I clean diarrhea off of my chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haley Clark, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chirping

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    My chicks are 3 days old and 2 of them have diahrrea all over their little butts how do I clean it off without harming them??[​IMG]

2. TimBaumann

TimBaumann Songster

Apr 8, 2012
    Namibia
    Hi :) [​IMG]
    I'm not sure but I would just use some warm water and gently wash the butt. You should search for something called ''Pasty Butt''. I think the way people clean their chicken would also work for you!
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Crowing

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    When I have to deal with dirty butts I just hold their tushies under the running tap. Some nice warm water usually takes it off without much effort. If there are clumps, squeeze them off after the water has softened them, don't pull or you'll take chick down with the poop (not to mention you'll have one ticked off baby). I do it in the bathroom where its warm so they don't get chilled. A few swipes with a paper towel or washcloth to help dry them and back in the brooder they go :)
    Nikki

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Crowing

Adding a teaspoon of ACV (apple cider vinegar, the non-pasturized, organic kind that you'll find in your grocery store's health food isle. Bragg's is a common brand) per quart to their water does an amazing job of putting a stop to pasty butt.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. Haley Clark

Haley Clark Chirping

Mar 2, 2013
    Western North Carolina
    Thank you cafarmgirl. Can I add apple cider vinegar to their water even if they are only 3 days old?

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Yes, you can, but no more than 1 teaspoon per quart. Use a measuring teaspoon...not a teaspoon that you stir coffeee with. Those teaspoons are not always a "teaspoon's worth". They can be larger or smaller.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by