How do I clip the wings of my poults?

broomrider

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2014
Northeast Missouri
They are BBB and right now the little fellas are flying everywhere. I don't have their run finished yet. They've been "free ranging" in the shed and out into the yard. It's too warm to close the door all day and they can fly over my barricade. They are barely 4 weeks old and too small to be out free ranging.

This isn't going to be very encouraging, but I don't know that it's possible. I have Burbon Reds and they are currently destroying my garage. I have clipped all of their wings but they can still fly very well. All attempts at covering my brooder go out the window because as soon as I lift it to feed and water them, they all fly up at once and escape. This is the first year I have raised more than a few, and I obviously need to go back and reevaluate my plans lol.

Young turkeys fly a lot. You can try clipping one wing, it didn't really slow mine down last year and they regrew them pretty quick. Keeping them in a covered pen or run is the best way to go.

This has been my recent lesson too. I have a 98% covered run. They figured out where they could get through in about two days and as soon as they did they flew out every time in minutes. Lat time I lost two, one I found when the cat chased it half an hour later. The other one I got back the next morning when she came home to find her brothers and sisters.

Given that and the fact my cat is a bird killer who loves being outside (which I dont mind, she is also a rodent killer too) I built a screen door for the coop until they are the size of chickens ( the cat doesnt go for them, so I figure once they are in the 3lb range they should be safe from the cat) and that will give me some time to patch their run.

Posting to keep track of the thread. We have three BBB turkeys that are about four weeks old now. They aren't too into flying...yet. I've been just keeping them in a barn stall with goat fencing lining the wood stall sides, but the stall door is not full length and we've been letting them roam around out back this week. They don't seem too interested in going anywhere as this is where the food and water is but it doesn't sound like I'd be able to do much to stop them either way....

Back
Top Bottom