How do I collect, Store, and set eggs in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by texascowboy1979, Dec 26, 2009.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Im curious as to how everyone does this... how and what do you do to collect your eggs? Where do you and how do you store them and what temp to you use before they go into the incubator... how do you sent them in your incubator?

Id like to see different view points and see whats done.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. rosco

rosco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Im curious as to how everyone does this... how and what do you do to collect your eggs? Where do you and how do you store them and what temp to you use before they go into the incubator... how do you sent them in your incubator?

texas a&m u. has a great publication on this in the third sticky above. you prolly know this and already read it. kewl. i got that response on so many of my posts i'm now doing it to others.
    I did the following:
    * - collected eggs after they were laid. as quickly as i found them. mine haven't shown any sign of wanting to sit on the egg after they've laid them otherwise i'd have let the hen do the work.
    * - i stored them 55-65F in plastic bags (i saw somewhere this would help retain moisture in the egg). they were in a carton w/ thermometer and tilted ~35 degrees every day. more "turning" may have been better. dunno about that though. i stored my eggs ~10 days which is the maximum. i think you loose 10% hatch rate everyday, but could be wrong.
    * - I just took them from 60F storage temp held them at room temp, 70F for 15minutes and then stuck them in incubator. i'm not sure if the eggs should be stepped up from 60F to 100F slowly or not. Good Question!
    * - i've them in an egg carton with bottoms of egg cups cut out and that is placed in a basket. i've three wires tied to the basket that pass through lid of styrofoam cooler. they are tied to a paint can stirrer on the outside. the paint stirrer is held up to take the eggs from a resting 35 degrees down to a 35 degrees up position. i hope that is the right way to do it.

in answer to your ealier post. under natural conditions, hens wash their eggs in warm soapy water before sitting on them. nah, kidding... the thought passed through my mind, as well. if anything, just take a damp cloth to remove clods that might impede air diffusion through egg shell. i've read its not recommended.

i'm on my first hatch at day 18. i don't think i started with fertile eggs. my hens were away from a rooster, one hen was just coming out of molt, two were pullets and another i believe to be a pullet. three first time layers and one in molt. not the best suppliers, eh? its the only chance i'll have, so said the boss. this operation is pretty much against the rules to begin with. HA! i hope by some miracle just one hatches!

Great luck to you!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:When I want to set eggs from a certain breed I collect everyday and set them big end up in egg cartons, store them in my laundry room where it is cooler than the rest of the house. If collecting a small amount each day from your own chickens even a Trio I have collected for up to 3 weeks and had good hatch rates. Just someplace not too cold or too warm is okay. Tilted the cartons acouple times a day by placing a small paged book under one side. They just need to be room temp at setting time for the bator. If setting in a turner they are set pointy end down into the rack and big end up, if hand turning they are just laid down on the wire rack with an X on one side and an O on the other in pencil so you will know which side as been turned. I turn 3 times a day when hand turning.

4. texascowboy1979

Thanks you two... I allways appriciate others views and tech, Its always good to cross ideas and get the best from everyone... i see the point of washing the eggs to get the clumps off the egg to allow oxegen exchange. Thanks on all the Ideas... Interesting on the Laundry room cause its cooler... I normally store the eggs until I have 3 eggs... Its odd. I normally get three eggs... and then one day off, three eggs and then one day off.. Why? I dont know... Unless I have two hens laying and they lay once every 3 days... Ive only seen one hen breeding, dont now if the other hen is breeding or laying... But I am keeping a log of days I get eggs and around what time.... I normally find an egg around 4pm or at 8 am...

Observation is a working progress...

5. Magnum_D

Magnum_D Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2009
    Springfield Missouri
    Generally when I collect eggs I just store them like Tuffoldhen. Fortunate for me however, my basement is the perfect temp(57) and the humidity is around 70% or so. A big thing with storing eggs is the humidity. If a egg is left with not enough moisture the embryo gets dry and can kill it. To much humidity produces condensation within the pores of the shell. Generally I keep the eggs stored for around a week before I set a batch.
    Thanks
    Magnum

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  6. texascowboy1979

So for storing eggs... for incubation... you all recommend to store them around 57 degrees... for no more than 10 days... correct?

7. Magnum_D

Dec 27, 2009
    Springfield Missouri
    Correct. I try to put them in around 7 days. As long as you keep the conditions right I see no problem with 10.
    Thanks
    Magnum

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    7 to 10 days is usually what is stated for storing eggs you want to incubate but.............I have collected from a Trio for upto and including 3 weeks here at my house (not shipped eggs) and have had 99% hatch rate. [​IMG]

9. Magnum_D

Dec 27, 2009
    Springfield Missouri
    As long as you are storing them correctly, and getting a decent hatch rate then more power to ya [​IMG] My luck on the other hand seems to decline with time.
    Thanks
    Magnum

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by