how do i convince my parennts to get me a chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zrossk, Dec 14, 2011.

1. zrossk

zrossk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    I really want a chicken but i doubt my parents would ever let me have one. How do i convince them?

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

well, first can you have chickens where you are? Second, its not just 1 chicken... It's 2-3 chickens. Chickens need company.

3. zrossk

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    Im really not sure if im allowed to have them where I live, I dont think I can. Looks like i will have to wait 10 years until i can get them [​IMG]

4. zrossk

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    I even told them I would pay for everything.

5. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    [​IMG] first of all welcome!!
    Are you being responible around the house? do you need nagging to get homework or chores done? do you have a pet now? and are you the one who cares for it? if the answer is yes--Do your home work on having and caring for chicken, check if you can have them were you live, how good the eggs are for you. ask someone in your area to spend a day learning about having a flock. if you do these things you might just talk your parents in to it. read in the learning center, ask for a book about chicken keeping for christmas. If the answer was No to the above, spent some time proving your responible first, as your doing your chicken keeping homework. Good luck--my hubbie still does not have a coop built so I can have some:th.

6. zrossk

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    I have a cat that I take care of on my own and I always do my homework. Im not really sure where to find out if i can have chickens in my area. My parents think they belong in a barn...

7. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well, most cities live have rules against roosters, but permit hens. And they do not need a barn... a small hutch and a run would suffice!

8. zrossk

Dec 11, 2011
    Blandon, Pennsylvania
    Yea im pretty sure my city is like the only one in PA that dosent allow any chickens on a residential area

9. WestfarthingHomestead

WestfarthingHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Alaska
    Let's see...

Step One: Learn all about the local laws on chicken keeping in your area. Do you know anyone with chickens? Do you know anyone in 4-H you can talk to?

Step Two: Learn all about chicken keeping, if you don't already know. Ask a chicken keeper you can trust or join 4-H. Check out books and videos/DVDs from the library. Learn how to build your own coop or renovate one from an old doghouse. Volunteer to help a chicken person.

Step Three: Start earning the money for start-up cost. Some of them can be gotten for free, but some will cost money. Coop, straw or shavings or sand for the floor, feed, chickens

Step Four: Take your parents to YouTube and search 'poultry farming.' Show them how battery hens are locked into tiny cages all their lives to lay the eggs. Show them the chicken slaughtering practices.

Step Five: Use some of your savings to buy real homegrown eggs and cook an omelet or quiche for your parents. Crack one open and show how different it from a story bought egg cracked open on the same plate.

Step Six: Demonstrate independence and that you can clean up after yourself and do all your other chores around the house without being told. This will help them believe you will care for the chickens and they won't end up with scooping the poop themselves.

I think you need to do all these things, but not necessarily in order. Also, when asked what you want from Christmas (or whatever holiday you celebrate this time of year) ask for Gift Card to your favorite feed store or hatchery or wherever the chicken people in your area get their birds and feed and stuff.

Good luck! Chickens are a great asset to any family.

10. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hello, and welcome! You should definitely try to find out if chickens are allowed where you live. Even if your parents said "OK," it could be against the law. I know many adults who got chickens only to find out that they had to get rid of them because it was against the law. Some places allow only a few hens and no roosters. If there is a 4H club in your area, or an FFA club, give them a call! They'd be super people to ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by