How do I cure open wounds on a chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ameraucana122, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Ameraucana122

Ameraucana122 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    Two days ago, a king snake got into my chicken coop and wrapped around my 2 month old Rhode Island Red hen. It had just started constricting the hen when is saw it and we killed the snake before it killed my chicken, but now she has places on her side and tummy when the skin has completely rubbed off. The snake did not cause any internal injuries, but she is still pretty sore. She is very active (eating, drinking, pooping normal) and she looks hopeful to recover, but I need to know how to address her wounds. It cannot be sewn up because the skin was rubbed off completely by the snake. I have been applying Bannixx to her wound which seems to help. Is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are superficial abrasions (such as you would get if you fell and skinned your knee) then cleaning the area and applying topical wound dressings before letting thm dry, scab, and heal ought to do the trick. It sounds from your description that they are not much more serious than that. If they are, a picture could be helpful so we can get an idea of what you're working with.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ameraucana122

Aug 4, 2013
    I will post pictures later today. The skin is pretty raw, but they are not severe wounds. I would compare it to maybe a mild burn.

4. Ameraucana122

Aug 4, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is the wounded chicken. She doesn't appear wounded from the outside because the damage is under her wing.

[​IMG]
    This is under her wing. You can see the basic location of the wound.​

[​IMG]

This is an up-close picture of the main wound. The skin was particularly raw when we saved her and now it is beginning to heal over. The skin is slightly hardened, but no scabbing yet. The picture makes it look a little worse than it really looks, but it's still pretty bad. The wound is not deep, it just took the surface skin off. ​

5. countrygoddess

It has been 4 days since you posted the pictures and I'm sorry I didn't check back sooner. I hope she's doing better. How have you been treating it? If it was me, I would just keep it clean, maybe smear Neosporin (the kind without the pain reliever) on it from time to time. I think it will heal okay.

6. Ameraucana122

Aug 4, 2013
    I have been spraying her wounds with Bannixx ( a disinfectant) and It has healed a lot! She looks a lot better and I think she will be alright. I might try neosporin. Thanks for the tips!!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. countrygoddess

Oh, good! I'm glad she's doing better. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by