1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I decide which Roo to keep

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hens4Fun, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] I should probably not have a roo around here in the city at all, but I have 2/3 of an acre and a school behind me. My neighbors on both sides encourage a rooster .... so other neighbors will not be very close. I'm going to give it a try for a while to keep one of the two... am so disappointed both are males [​IMG]. Logistically, I think I will be down to 6-7 hens and 2 roos soon. They are all young ... going on 13 weeks right now. They cannot free range, I have two hawks that land EVERY day right outside the coop/run and watch the chickens. grrrrrr

Anyway, from what I've read 2 roosters with 7 hens would be a high ratio. Also, I am afraid their crowing would feed off each other (neither has crowed yet). And for now, they are both docile as can be, and love to sit on my lap for a nap. But I know this will likely change. But assuming they are both remain good-natured, What other factors should I consider? Gosh both are such great chickens thus far! The hens will be 2 RIRs, 1 white cochin, 2 silkies (or 1), and 2 EEs. The roos will be a Houdan and what I have been told is a Dark Brahma. I think about having to get rid of one of them ALL THE TIME .... so how do I decide which to re-home and which to try and keep??
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    your Houdan is very pretty [​IMG] if i where you i would probably pick him but its really up to you [​IMG] I mean i do like how the first one has feathered feet thats a plus in my book! [​IMG]

3. ErieSpurs

ErieSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Elyria, OH
    Do you free range your chickens? Because crested chickens will have a harder time looking out for hawks. They also tend to be a little more flighty. You could post them on craigslist, then you don't have to decide. Just sell the one that gets the first response.

4. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Quote:You got that right! my little Porcelain d'uccle roo just loves to fight me or any other rooster [​IMG]

5. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I would wait for a few more months and see which one crows the loudest and the most often and get rid of that one. If they both seem to be the same I would notice if either is more aggressive toward you and your family and I would choose to promote that one to the "Deep freeze". If all things appear to be equal I would keep the best looking one, sorry but I guess I am somewhat superficial in that respect. [​IMG]

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    i've had houdan cockerels and they can be very flighty and almost dangerous when they can't see. if you are keeping the houdan i would suggest keeping the sides of the crest kept trimmed for vision and always talk to them before entering their area. ( [​IMG] most of us already talk enough to our flocks but it doesn't hurt to do it with the crested breeds!)

i've been admiring the dark brahmas and they get HUGE! i think i read they get to about 12lbs but when i looked at them on youtube to see how loud their crow is they have a wonderfully deep voice, not as sharp as the houdan's will be. i'm thinking of adding more brahmas to my flock and not replacing my houdan if i loose her. i gave away most of my houdans (all cockerels except one hen who is sweet to the larger birds but dominant to the bantams). and the one cockerel i kept became aggressive and so skittish i sent him to freezer camp.

where these two have been raised together you might be fine to keep them both if they are good with your family and the hens. usually one will become the dominant roo and the other essentially becomes the lookout and may not breed with your hens.

7. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    Wow ... thanks for the input everyone. Interesting that so many mention the Houdan's as being kinda flighty ... because of all my chickens this one is by far the most skittish, and I hadn't really thought that much about it. The Dk Brahma is a TOTALLY mellow thing so far. I barely sit down and he is the first to always jump on my lap and take a nap. But, I LOVE the look of the Houdan, I think it's a totally cool bird...and if I force it to sit on my lap it relaxes to the point it has fallen off my lap while I was petting it. [​IMG] I guess time will tell. I like the suggestion of waiting to hear what their crows sound like ..... good point! Kinda worry about the size of the Brahma and the little silkies tho [​IMG]. I guess I just keep waiting and watching their behaviors..... so much to consider .... I wish I was still able to free range them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by