1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I design the inside using DLM???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Slim Chickens, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Slim Chickens

Slim Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    OK, I'm a newbie, brand frickin newbie. I'm working on my coop, starting with 6 Pullets that should be here in about 2 weeks. I'm trying to figure out the inside design of my coop using the deep litter method and can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I see bars for roosting straight across and some that are angled at about 45degrees with a screen under them.

If I do the angled roost, do I need DLM throughout the entire inside, or just under the roosts? Please help me help my new arriving chicks!

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Yes...Yes...Yes.... Chickens poop everywhere. The idea of the DLM is to absorbe the moisture and make cleaning the coop easier. Also aids in odor control by turning the litter periodically. A little lime or diatemacious earth sprinkled around every now and then helps as well. I went with a single roost, as they will fight to get to the highest spot as a rule. At least that is what I have learned. Also, if ya gonna do the DLM, be sure to put a 1"x 4" or 1" x 6" by door to keep litter in the coop. Check out my homepage showing examples of this. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Erik

3. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    I have four roosts at different levels along different walls. I planned the coop with the idea of having to accommodate 12" of bedding if needed. The pop door and nest boxes are above that level. I replaced the bedding early spring and now have 4-6" bedding. Do everything to keep the litter dry. I use a water nipple to keep their water clean and have a 4" paint scraper handy to clean off flat surfaces. I used a poop board early on but it was more trouble than it was worth. YMMV of course.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Check out my BYC page for pics of my setup with DLM. I've had this going for nearly 20 years. I use a sub-ground level dirt floor for the deep litter; I only need to clean it out once a year in the spring for fertilizer for my garden. All summer long I add another layer or two when I mow with lawn clippings and/or pine needles/cones raked up from under the evergreens. I started in B.C. (before computers) and used information obtained from organic publications describing methods that have been in use for centuries.

1 person likes this.
  5. Slim Chickens

Slim Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote:So fireguy...OMG. That hen house is awesome!!! Few questions though:
    1. You have the poop trays under the roost...do they catch most of the poop? Wondering if that's the case, you don't need 6"-12" of deep litter....just clean the trays. Now I know what people mean when they say "poop trays"

2. Are you using DLM at all? Doesn't look like it, but how do you keep the inside floor so clean?

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Yes, clean my tray set up weekly...easily down with old 6" drywall knife right into large plastic tote, then on to the compost pile.
    So, not having to put down as much shavings as yet. Most of the poop ends up on the trays, less on floor.
    Turn over shavings , DE and poop about every other day with small rake. All is well.
    Erik

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:Fireguy Loved your page. Going to steal your feeding platform idea! Great way to make use of pre-fab panels for the run.

I've got roosts at one level as well, used old doors covered with leftover linoleum. I clean if off every other day and throw some pine shavings off the floor up there, helps the poo not to stick. I have about 6 inches of shavings on the floor so I take from the dirtiest spot which is usually in front of the pop door. Of course, every once in a while I have to add fresh shaving on the floor. I also clean it all out once a year (I let the pine shavings dwindle down before doing this) and I regularly and liberally dust with DE. Here are a couple of pics:

Before the chickens went in, so purdy!! After the chickens have been in for a year. The floor stays pretty clean, the poop board and roosts need scraping.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

About 75% of the poo in a coop is in the nests and under the roost. Especiall in warm climates where the birds are outside most of the time. Be generous with the poop tray coverage and you should have a pretty clean coop. If the nest boxes are lined or have a removable insert it makes cleaning them a snap. Also consider a roll out poop tray set up like a drawer that comes out the side of the coop with a lift off collector on it like cookie sheets or muddy boot trays. Then you can roll the drawer out, lift off the dirty tray, hose it off, wipe is down, set it back in and close the drawer. Just remember to put a latch on it.

As to using DLM with chips, I only do it because I have to in one of my coops due to weight. Sand is so nice and cheap too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by