How do I disinfect after coryza infected flock...........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bragan, Oct 22, 2010.

1. bragan

bragan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Rainbow City, AL
    Last weekend my hubby & I had to cull our small flock due to a coryza infection caused by introducing new hens............[​IMG]I know now, we have learned our lesson. My question is, what do I need to do to disinfect before we order new chicks & should we wait a certain amount of time? We have about 5 1/2 acres, so our chickens free ranged during the day & went in the coop @ night, do we need to do something to the ground also?

2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    You can disinfect the coop and all equipment with a bleach solution. You need to clean everything thoroughly before disinfecting. After everything is clean, mix 1 and 2/3 cups of bleach with every gallon of water and use a sprayer to saturate everything. Allow to air dry naturally.

You can't use bleach on the ground. You can spread a layer of hydrated lime on areas that your chickens heavily frequented. Wear gloves and a mask and spread it rather liberally.

I don't know how persistent coryza is, but I'd at least wait a couple of weeks before placing any new birds to help break any parasitic cycles.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by