How do I disinfect after coryza infected flock...........

bragan

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Rainbow City, AL
Last weekend my hubby & I had to cull our small flock due to a coryza infection caused by introducing new hens............
sad.png
I know now, we have learned our lesson. My question is, what do I need to do to disinfect before we order new chicks & should we wait a certain amount of time? We have about 5 1/2 acres, so our chickens free ranged during the day & went in the coop @ night, do we need to do something to the ground also?

You can disinfect the coop and all equipment with a bleach solution. You need to clean everything thoroughly before disinfecting. After everything is clean, mix 1 and 2/3 cups of bleach with every gallon of water and use a sprayer to saturate everything. Allow to air dry naturally.

You can't use bleach on the ground. You can spread a layer of hydrated lime on areas that your chickens heavily frequented. Wear gloves and a mask and spread it rather liberally.

I don't know how persistent coryza is, but I'd at least wait a couple of weeks before placing any new birds to help break any parasitic cycles.

Back
Top Bottom