1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I dispose of unused TYLAN??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StephanieD, Mar 22, 2011.

1. StephanieD

StephanieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    How do I dispose of Tylan that has been diluted in a one gallon jug? I did not use it all and want to get rid of it safely and properly. Thanks

2. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Wow, that is a very responsible question! It would be bad for that to end up in our lakes and rivers. I would think that maybe a veterinary clinic might know what to do with that type of hazardous waste. Also, maybe your local pharmacy? Sorry, not much help for a very good question. [​IMG]

3. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    What does everyone do with Tylan they no longer can use?

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    You could try and ask a local Hospital if they wouldn't mind you dropping it in their many Medical waste dispensers.

AL

5. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    your local pharmacist should definitely know. When working in the back of one I overheard mine describing some sort of procedure with kitty litter for a patients' meds... they deal with pet and people medications all the time and are best trained in how to handle and dispose of. [​IMG]

Just call your local CVS/Walgreens/other pharmacy and they should definately answer you completely free of charge... do share though what they tell ya XD

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  6. StephanieD

Mar 9, 2011
    I just called two local vets, with not much help from them. One vet office said it should be fine to pour down the sink, since it's only 1/2 gallon. The other vet office referred me to the sherrif's office. Call the local sheriff's office and they do not accept any liquids. So.....any other ideas?

7. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    Quote:This is why I said pharmacies... chemists know more about chemicals and drugs than your own doctors or vets do [​IMG]

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Try a no kill animal shelter

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Dilute it and dump down drain--poor it VERY slowly down drain while running water full force at the same time. it should be fine-

10. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I wouldn't put it down the drain though. IMHO There is a problem with it getting into the water supply. I know it seems miniscule, but over many, many years of folks doing it we supposedly have small amounts of some drugs in drinking water. Now if you poured it into kitty litter that clumps real hard, it couldn't get into the water supply and can't see how it could hurt person or animal. Then just dump it in the trash. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by