How Do I Excite Even the Most Indifferent of Chickens For Their Birthday!?

Kaiser Fertilizer

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
SE indiana
My chickens are almost exactly one year old! August 10th is their collective birthday, the day before I got them at the hatchery as day old chicks. I'm thinking about finally naming them, among other activities. I've waited this long to name them since I knew some would die, and of course, two of them did (out of nine from birth). I'm praying that It'll never happen again. But today I'd like to celebrate my chicken's lives, especially those who have made it this far!

I'd like to know some gift and treat Ideas. They already have a few toys, a swing, a xylophone, and some mirrors. all of which they have little interest in.... But I'd like to get something more exciting for them, or something improve their lives in some way. To be honest, my chickens seem very uninterested in things. I've given them cabbages, pumpkins, meal worms and other things. But other than the meal worms they didn't really care. I want to give them a real happy birthday, but what can I do to please them?

I'm also interested in giving them some sort of lightweight ankle collar, the type they give wild birds to track them. I was thinking of giving them several different colors to use as name tags, so I can tell them a part (of course the rooster doesn't need that). Any Idea on how I how/where I can make or buy them?

One last thing, I'd like some suggestions for things I can buy at a farm store, such as Orschelns or Tractor Supply. Anything I buy online won't be here by their birthday of course so I'd like to give them something the day of.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220523_223314829.jpg
    PXL_20220523_223314829.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 11
Happy almost birthday to your chickens! Since indifference can stem from an inordinate sense of absorption with self, I'd say your chickens are pretty normal (in that respect). A handful of black bird seeds in the sand/dust bath area, a few blueberries, or sometimes mozzarella cheese shreds could possibly bring a sparkle to their eyes! Mine enjoy watching for other chickens in large mirrors, but it sounds like yours are too clever to be fooled by fake duplicates.

Happy almost birthday to your chickens! Since indifference can stem from an inordinate sense of absorption with self, I'd say your chickens are pretty normal (in that respect). A handful of black bird seeds in the sand/dust bath area, a few blueberries, or sometimes mozzarella cheese shreds could possibly bring a sparkle to their eyes! Mine enjoy watching for other chickens in large mirrors, but it sounds like yours are too clever to be fooled by fake duplicates.
Sounds great! Are you sure that string cheese is ok though? I've heard milk products can be dangerous, but maybe that's in large amounts? I'll try it!

Happy birthday to your chickaroos! Congrats to you on being a successful chicken tender, too! It's great to celebrate this milestone with your chickens, but remember that treats should not exceed 10% of their diet, lest you upset their dietary balance. My suggestion, if you really want to see some enthusiasm in your chooks, is: WATERMELON! And also a few BOSS, aka Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. Bust open a watermelon and stand back, camera handy. And scatter some BOSS around for after they have completed the feeding frenzy at the ripe, red fruit. Cheers and have fun!

Happy birthday to your chickaroos! Congrats to you on being a successful chicken tender, too! It's great to celebrate this milestone with your chickens, but remember that treats should not exceed 10% of their diet, lest you upset their dietary balance. My suggestion, if you really want to see some enthusiasm in your chooks, is: WATERMELON! And also a few BOSS, aka Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. Bust open a watermelon and stand back, camera handy. And scatter some BOSS around for after they have completed the feeding frenzy at the ripe, red fruit. Cheers and have fun!
I can't wait to do this. Sounds like the same thing that happens when you give a human baby cake!

Happy Birthday Chooks, I love the idea of a new bath area. Mine LOVE my flowerpots that I haven't used in a few years. Mine don't like the swings either. I have a new group of pullets I'm going to try toys on.
What kind of flower pots? just simple terracotta? mine love going under the brush and hiding in the shade as they have a bath. Any particular feature they like about those flower pots? Shape, size, temperature (considering the material) etc?

Sounds great! Are you sure that string cheese is ok though? I've heard milk products can be dangerous, but maybe that's in large amounts? I'll try it!
As BigBlueHen stated, everything in moderation! I have fed mine a few pieces of shredded cheese as a treat every now and then. They seem to like mozzarella better than cheddar...🤷‍♀️

Watermelon sounds way more fun for everyone, though! Mine really like cleaning up the rinds, too!

Back
Top Bottom