1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I feed just one hen layer feed? Advice please!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Carrie Lynn, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    While posting my calcium problem I realized I have yet another problem.
    How will I be able to feed my POL Bantam the layer feed?
    Now that is not something I ever thought about when I added chicks, making a flock of 3.
    Anyone ever had this problem? I will be leaving for work in the dark and returning at sunset.
    That makes monitoring feeding impossible. Oh man, I should have thought this through :-(

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When I have underaged chickens in the coop, I feed Grower with oyster shell offered on the side. The young ones may peck at it a little bit, but not all that much, and my egg shells remain hard.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:This is your best bet...

4. Caseman

Caseman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2010
    Lexington, KY

A+ this is good

5. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

A+ this is good

[​IMG]

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote: A+ this is good

[​IMG]

X--???? Well, x whatever we're up to now. Lots of us do it this way with mixed age flocks. Works great and no stressing out about who is eating out of what feeder.

[​IMG]

ETA: How the heck did I lose Ridgerunners post?? The puter must be on quote overload.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What they all said. [​IMG]

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed Flock Raiser with oyster shell on the side. Works for me.

9. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    So is Grower is better for all 3 birds than Flock Raiser? What is the difference between the two?
    BTW, got my first egg this afternoon from my Banty Leghorn...small, but perfect!

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:I think grower is higher in protien (one local feed store just started carrying flockraiser here, but I haven't checked it out yet), neither of them will have enough calcium for the laying hen so as has been mentioned, be sure to put oyster shell out. I'd go with the grower in your situation though either will work. Rule of thumb is to feed to the youngest when you have a mixed flock, the older chooks are better able to handle things not being exactly right for them.

ETA: Congrats on the first egg! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by