How do I feed my 3 day old chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by popeyes chicken, Mar 5, 2015.

1. popeyes chicken

popeyes chicken New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    I got my chick Popeye from tsc yesterday. They weren't able to sell her since she has a scissored beak and one eye. I decided to take he because she would've died there. She is drinking but has trouble eating. I need some tips on how to feed her.Thanks for anyone who can help.
    p[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh I am so sorry but it isn't good when they cannot eat. I have had a crossbeaked hen but she was able to eat and that is the determining factor for survival. With a crossbeaked chicken sometimes the crossbeak gets worse as they get older, and they stop eating. Some try to trim the beak at that time, but I don't know how they do it or if it is even recommended for a brand new chick.

It is possible to tube feed a chicken but that is really not good to have to do its whole life.

It is so kind of you to try! Make sure that the little one has access to the feeder (use more than one feeder if in a large group of chicks) is all I can recommend.

3. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Make a moist paste with the chick crumb and water and see if it can manage that or try scrambled egg. It may be that it can manage moist feed better than crumbles.
    Good luck with it.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickensAreSweet

[​IMG]

5. popeyes chicken

popeyes chicken New Egg

Mar 5, 2015
    Thank you all for your tips. Popeye unfortunately didn't make it. I guess she wasn't strong enough.

6. ChickensAreSweet

I am sorry for your loss!

7. woodlandsprite

woodlandsprite Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Days Creek,Oregon
    I too am sorry for your loss...I bought 6 chicks yesterday...1 died within 5 hours of me bringing it home...Another died this morning...And 2 more are on their way out I fear....The last 2 are doing great and running around, eating and pottying...I have separated the 2 that I don't think are going to make it...HUGS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by