how do I feed oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimz1, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Now that some of our chickens started laying I have a couple questions about oyster shells. Do I set up another feeder for the shells? Is it ok for the roos to eat them? If not how do I keep them from eating it? Do I need to add anything else to their diet?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I mix the oyster shell in with my chicken food and feed it to all of them and my roosters are still okay.[​IMG]

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:no you don't need another feeder you can give it in a pile as free choice along with your insoluble grit.

yes its ok for the roo to eat it

you might want to add cracked corn and sun flower seeds for treats ours love them and it helps stretch feed. but don't feed corn when the temp is really high it raises body heat.

4. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I just put some out in a bowl in the coop, in a place where it can't get tipped over or poo'd in (yea right, they'll find a way). Free choice, they'll eat it if they need it.

Quote:no you don't need another feeder you can give it in a pile as free choice along with your insoluble grit.

yes its ok for the roo to eat it

you might want to add cracked corn and sun flower seeds for treats ours love them and it helps stretch feed. but don't feed corn when the temp is really high it raises body heat.

The whole 'corn raises body temperature' thing is a myth, by the way [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm with the group that doesn't want to force them to eat something they don't need. I offer oyster shell on the side so those that need it can get it and those that don't need it aren't forced to eat it. I know they will try to pick around it but they are not always real successful doing that with the finer stuff. I find that the ones that don't need it might experiment with it a bit but really won't eat much.

There are lots of different ways to offer it. I took a large plastic yogurt cup, cut a small hole near the bottom so it would drain, and wired that to the run fencing about back height on a hen.

6. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Quote:Me too. Free choice. That is the way the pros do it, separate grit and shell stations. This way you can monitor the consumption rates too.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    One more vote for "Free Choice" and we have a plastic pan zip tied to the fence so they will not spill it, also drilled a few holes in bottom to drain during the very rare rains we get here.

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My girls really like oyster shells. I feed in a seperate dish. [​IMG]

9. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Just a separate tray,,,need to clean the shavings out of it every once in a while

10. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I have mine in a separate dish next to the feeder and screwed to the wall. The rooster grabs pieces out of it then drops them on the floor. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by