How Do I Feed Them??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sgsf, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    I don't know what to do. The mother is currently laying in hay, and I put a good amount of food on the hay by the little chicks, and I put a bowl of water by them (small). But they will just stay inside the mothers feathers. How do I get the little chickens to eat and drink water? I'm afraid if I take the chicks out it will mess something up. I thought the mother would kept up to let them eat. The food and water is RIGHT by them. Plus, there is a very big bowl filled with Starter feed tilted so the chicks could get it. But why aren't they coming out?

2. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    the hen will feed the chicks when they are ready how long have they been hached? Sometime they wont eat for 2 days dont bother them let the hen be the mom

3. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Alright. Should I leave the food and water there?

4. katheria

katheria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    how old are they?

does she have any eggs left under her?

if they are under 48 hours old they are fine and dont worry about it much,
    when 72 hours passes then you may need to start worrying....

if she still has unhatched eggs, she is still waiting for those eggs to hatch....

plus if its cooler outside, you may not even have noticed her showing them to eat....
    they will eat for 2-3 mins and then run back under her lol.....

someone beat me LOL

yep leave the food and water with her.....

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    yes they will come out when they are ready just leave the food where the hen well finde it she will feed the chicks when they are ready they will hid under her if they are cold but give them time they will be ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by