How do I feed?

hypnochyck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Benicia, CA
Lots of questions.....
1. Do I put food and water inside their coop at night when they get shut in, as well as outside in the run, or do they just eat and drink during the day while they are out in the run and sleep at night?

2. From other posts, I gathered that I can put the oyster shells and egg shells in with their food, but should food only be in a feed tray, can I skip the tray and just throw it out in the run for them to scratch around for or should I do both?

3. I keep reading about "food" and "scratch" and "grit", etc.... lots of different descriptions. Is "scratch" just any food thrown on the ground or is it something specific? Does scratch ever go in a feeder tray? Is "grit" the sand or oyster shells for grinding in the crop or is it something else?

Thanks!
Nancy

I'd put food/water both in and outside, but make sure the food outside can't get wet.

Just put food in the tray, they will spill it out anyway.

leave oyster shell and grit in separate dishes.

grit is small peaces of stone used to grind food in the gizzard.

oyster shell is calcium for egg shells.

"scratch" is a mixture of grains. Through it on the ground and they "peck & scratch" for it. its more of a treat and keeps them busy.

Last edited:
Most chicken feed is processed into small pellets, sometimes the pellets are milled in to smaller chunks called "crumbles" or "mash".

Chick starter is in "mash" form so its small enough for baby chicks to eat.
other foods like layer feed come in pellets and mash.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom