How do I find a processor in Indiana?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Jun 12, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I've searched and searched and can't figure out how to find a processor in Indiana. They've gotta be out there this is the Midwest for cryin' out loud. But how do I find them? Is there some kind of underground meat bird organization I need to join or what?

2. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    Have you tried all of your local feed stores? I just asked when I was buying feed and they whipped out a phone number. Do you have any beef/pork processing places around? I'm sure you could give them a call, they probably know someone who does chickens. I do my own unless I need to do more than a dozen or so. Just too much work for 50 to do by hand.

Good luck!

3. FrontPorchIndiana

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I think part of my problem is that I've been using a feed store on the edge of the city while I run other errands. It might as well be Wally World for all the expertise that is there. I need to find one out in the boonies. There's an Amish community a few miles west of us. I may just break down and drive around over there and start asking people. Cause you know it's not like I can look 'em up in the phone book. [​IMG]

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Are you south of me? I think I remember that you are. There are a few butchers close to me, in the northern part of Indiana.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Definately ask around the Amish community. I found an Amish family...they processed my birds for me in a " while you waite style" I had 21...and didnt take them more than an hr or so. The price was great too! $1.50 / bird. They will also process my turkeys for me in the fall. $5.00/bird. WELL WORTH it for me....altho its almost an hr drive....thats why I do so many at a time to make it worth the trip. They had my mother and I come inside while they processed, and were very interesting people...VERY educated...and inquisitive about our " way of life" LOL

6. FrontPorchIndiana

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah Carole, we're closer to Indy.

7. FrontPorchIndiana

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:That's exactly what I'm looking for. It would be well worth it at that price.

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

The Family I went to is in Mylan,IN. Just north of Greensburg. ( not sure if I spelled that right?) Anyways....let me know if you need thier number...they are super sweet people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by