How do I find local freshly hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dianekw, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Dianekw

Dianekw Chirping

Aug 9, 2016
    Hi All,

I've got a broody sitting on a clutch of eggs due April 21ish...and I'd like to add a new variety or two to my flock, but I need them to be very young so I have a better chance of her "adopting" them. Is there a good way to find people with day old chicks for sale? Do folks ever tend to have extras? I'd like to be able to drive and pick them up as opposed to shipping them. Anyone here within an hour's drive of Palo Alto, CA, with chicks due around then that might be able to sell me a few chicks? I'm specifically looking for dark brown eggs and white eggs, as I have light brown and green already. ...hoping to make the egg basket more colorful. :) I've tried searching the web and not having much luck, but then I thought why not come to the experts! ;-) thanks in advance or any leads/tips/chicks!

drumstick diva, Teila, N F C and 3 others like this.
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    You should be able to find chicks at your local feed store. Or ask on your state thread.

3. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Teila, N F C, 007Sean and 1 other person like this.
  4. Dianekw

Dianekw Chirping

Aug 9, 2016
    THank you! I didnt know there were state threads! I'm in a pretty urban area, so we dont have too many "feed stores" and I haven't seen chicks there ever. The local hardware store does a "chick days" once a year(just started this year)cuz so many folks are wanting to start raising chickens here now, but there isn't a whole lot of options for finding baby chicks on a specific day :-\ that's why, in desperation, I posted here.

5. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Check your local Craigslist too, usually folks are listing chicks at this time of year.

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Crossing the Road

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I wish you luck. You might like to put your general location in your profile. It will help others to give appropriate advice.

7. Dianekw

Dianekw Chirping

Aug 9, 2016
    Thanks! I tried that to no avail, but that was a month or two ago...maybe it's lookin' better now...I'll try again. Thanks!

8. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, having your location in your profile helps everyone give you good advice as Lazy Gardener said. Also, looking at your state thread and asking there is an option. There is a 'Day old chicks' forum on here too where you might find someone close to you. Good luck.

9. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Post an ad on craigslist that you are looking for a couple of day old chicks for a broody mama. Plenty of people are hatching right now and surely someone will take pity on your hen.
    And they don't necessarily have to be day old. My last broody hen the chicks I bought for her were about a week old - love at first sight.

10. oregonkat

oregonkat Crowing

Oct 5, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Rats, I just read through the original post and your location is there, near Palo Alto yes? Papas Poultry is up near the Oregon border and he sells chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: