How do I find out how many chickens I am allowed to own? I live in Pleasant Hill, CA on a quarter ac

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ladybird32, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Ladybird32

Ladybird32 New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Hi all - I am having the hardest time figuring out how many chickens I am allowed to keep as pets. Anyone know this information for Pleasant Hill, CA? Thanks for your help!

2. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    When I looked into keeping chickens in city limit, I just went to the local Agriculture Annex, it's the same people you talk to about joining 4-H.

Try asking someone at City Hall. If they can't tell you, someone there should be able to tell you who you talk to.

3. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    If it is an issue, City Hall will tell you in the letter.

Support Liberty, raise chickens.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I searched and read your town codes then Costa Contra County. All I could find was restrictions to building size, setbacks and noise violations. Also dangerous animal permits and animals at large (not contained/ leashed). Actually the only time I referenced anything chicken was "fowl crowing" in the county noise ordinance which loosely stated constant barking or fowl crowing will be in violation. Basically, keep the noise down, build out buildings to zoning requirements (under8 ft tall must be 3 foot setback) and contain your animals.

For another unofficial thumbs up there is this link from a member on BYC: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pleasant-hill-a-california-chicken-ordinance

5. Ladybird32

Ladybird32 New Egg

Feb 26, 2012
    Thanks for all your replies. I ran into the same roadblock with not finding anything about keeping chickens in particular. I guess I will just have to call City Hall. Or not... :) I have 3 chickens and am only looking to add a few more, so I don't think it should be a problem. Thanks again!

6. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    Use a chicken tractor as it is not a fixed structure, thus not building code/permit.

Let city hall call you. If you get a letter, just make soup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by