How do I find out if my chickens are show quality or not????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by D'Angelo N Va., Jul 13, 2010.

1. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have some beautiful birds...and some ppl. ask me if they are S.Q (show quality)...to me they are, but I don't know. how do I find this information out? I have Mille Fleur D'Uccles, Partridge Cochins, and Salmon Faverolles...any help would be most appreciated.

2. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Check the American Standard of Perfection Book, or you can just post dome pictures up here and we'll tell you!

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yes, the Standard of Perfection is a place to start. Where did you get your birds?

4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I say you should enter them in a show.

You will learn a lot one way or the other.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Take pictures of them there are a lot of people that know a lot about almost every breed on this site so someone will be able to help you out. For Faverolles you could post of the faverolles thread. I also would like to know where you got your birds. The standard is also a good place to start but after that you need to develop an "eye" for the breed and you will get better and better as you learn what to look for.

Henry

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Oh ok..thanks so much. I have been working o.t. like crazy so I wasn't able to come back on and say Thanks so much. I'll post some pictures.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    If you got them from a hatchery, they will not be show quality.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    If hatchery birds are not show quality why do all the catalogs I have to McMurry and other hatcheries have pictures of people showing and winning with their birds??

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:They can certainly win at a county fair or 4-H show but very few birds from a hatchery meet the standard and can be shown at APA and ABA shows. 4-H shows and fairs are a completely different thing then APA and ABA shows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by