How do I find pics of milk jug waters here?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mominoz, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    I read about the waters made out of milk jugs and am getting ready for my 4 geese babies coming and later my ducks I have ordered.
    I only saw part of one in a photo--I tried to search, but didn't get anything with better pics.
    Can someone direct me how to find the photos of useful waters , feeders for ducks and geese? Particularly while babies. Guess I am more use to the 'files, photos " set up in yahoo.....

2. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I used half-gallon milk jugs for both feeder and waterer; be prepared to have a lot on hand, or clean them out a lot.

Just make sure it has a cover and is really cleaned out well.

Okay, now lay it on it's side, and poke scissors through about halfway up the side. Cut a SMALL hole, you can make it bigger after you try it out on them. I had four holes in mine, but you could do three or five I guess. The idea is to keep them out, so if you made one continuous hole, it wouldn't have the plastic 'bars' to keep them out.

_______
    | \\_
    | O O O _| <--- It should basically look like this.
    |______/

If you have the handle pointing up, it would keep the gunk from building up in the small space.

I don't have pictures, but it's fairly simple. Hope my description works. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Here is mine out of a pepsi bottle! I like the idea not to make one continuous hole, next time I will make a few smaller holes for them to drink from!
    Brenda

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Here is a picture from last spring of my brooder, this worked well for me.

[​IMG]

5. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I did mine just like Raindrop's, but made the holes smaller-- just enough for the ducklings to stick their heads through.

I continued to save gallon jugs as I brooded the ducklings, and as the ducklings grew and the waterers got gross, I'd change them out, cutting the holes a little bigger and a little higher each time.

6. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Quote:Yeah, that's what I did. I had to have some with bigger holes so the geese could fit in, but I tried to make them taller.

7. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    [​IMG] those are interesting, good ideas.I had 10 geese babies years ago, and 25 chicks once and all I can remember is the quart jar waterer, do remember getting them outside as soon as I could.
    thanks

8. Ctptcha

Ctptcha Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    I'm going to be doing this for my guys! Just one question... Won't they cut themselves on the sharp edges of cut plastic?

9. tjrod2013

tjrod2013 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Fresno
    Following

10. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop

I use a nail file and run it along the cut edges. No duck cuts!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by