How Do I Find the Breed of my Hens??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by clayb226, Apr 2, 2011.

1. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    I recently bought 10 laying hens for my kids to tend, and am unsure of the breed. The guy said they were a 3 way cross, but I have seen hens that look the same on this site already. Thanks all for helping out a newbie. Have a great day, and be blessed.

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    After you have posted about ten times you can post pics on here and we can tell you (hopefully) what breed they are! [​IMG] Oh and by the way [​IMG]

3. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Thanks, I should be at 10 real quick. Have a great day, and be blessed.

4. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    OK, here are some pictures of my hens, and the stray rooster that I have just put in there tonight.
    first the hens.
    [​IMG]

Now the stray rooster, which is no longer a stray, he is now part of my flock.
    [​IMG]

I have an idea that the rooster may be a RIR, but do not know about the hens, any help would be great.
    Thanks, have a great day, and be blessed.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  5. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Sorry to have to bump this topic, but I am still wondering if anyone can help me identify the breed of the hens, I think the rooster may be a RIR. Thanks, have a great day, and be blessed.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I don't see any pics. [​IMG]

7. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:Really, that is odd, I see them from my local network and from work, which is not local. I will download them to the website tonight, or this weekend. I have them on my server at my house, and the upload to your computer may be slow.

8. silkieroo

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Hmm... I don't see them either!!?? [​IMG] And your welcome! [​IMG]

9. silkieroo

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Oh! wait i see them!! Are the hens maybe red sex links?? (I can only see part of the picture) Also, are your hens debeaked?? They look like they are all missing a bunch of there beaks! I wish i could see the whole picture! but my computers spazzing! [​IMG]

10. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:This is possibly due to my upload speed, coupled with my other websites hosted on this server. They are just downloading slooooowly. No my hens are not debeaked, they have full beaks. I almost bought some that were debeaked, before I knew about why they were debeaked, I think debeaking is a bad thing. I will do some searching for red sex links hens, thank you. Have a great day, and be blessed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by