How Do I Find The Ducks Nest?

LindseyM12

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2009
North Carolina
Hi all! I have a duck and I haven't found a single egg from her! I was wondering what is the best way to find her nest. She is young, a little less than a year old and she stays in a pen. Thanks for any advice!
wink.png

If she is in a pen, she may just not be laying yet. How big is the pen? Are you feeding her layer feed? She getting good nutrition?

Quote:
The pen is about 10x30? And it's attached to a 10x10 coop. I'll go check tomorrow and see how big the pen is if you need me to. I was feeding her layer feed but she absolutely would not eat it, so I started giving her scratch and that's the only thing she'll eat besides grass.

I would go and get some crumbles waterfowl food like purina flock raiser. She is not getting enough nutrition from the scratch alone. I feed the crumbles in the summer then mix it with scratch in the winter for extra fat

Quote:
The pen is about 10x30? And it's attached to a 10x10 coop. I'll go check tomorrow and see how big the pen is if you need me to. I was feeding her layer feed but she absolutely would not eat it, so I started giving her scratch and that's the only thing she'll eat besides grass.

That may be the problem. She needs a better balanced diet. Try another brand of layer pellets. The scratch should be minimized, it's the equivalent of candy in people food. She needs vegetables, very little scratch, and some layer feed. Their bodies can't produce shells for the eggs if they eat junk food and do not get enough calcium. It is good she is eating grass, but she needs some more balance to her diet still.

I agree with giving her a better diet that would help. Now that it is winter you probably will have to wait until spring to get eggs. If she didn't want to eat the layer it might have been spoiled. Try a different bag of food. Also check to make sure there isn't anything that could be eating her eggs. (dogs, snakes, raccoon, ect.) Ducks will lay there eggs anywhere when they first start laying then after they get the hang of it they will find little nice covered spots to lay there eggs. Mine lay behind bushes, the vines, under our boats, anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom