How do I fix a broken (?) leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peregrine, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Peregrine

Peregrine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Georgia
    Please help me! I have a 9 week old chick with a lame leg. [​IMG] The day before yesterday my daughter said she saw our rooster attack the chick (probably trying to mount her). I found her on the ground with one leg completely limp. The bones don't feel broken to me, and the chick doesn't seem to be in pain when I move it or feel it, but she lets it hang down and does not even draw it up at the knee. The toes are slightly curled under. It reminds me of when I'm processing the chickens that we eat and I cut through the tendon at the back of the knee to remove the legs. Could her tendon have snapped? the chick is otherwise fine; no injuries or blood, and is in good health.

What should I do to help her? Can I make a splint of some sort? Will it heal on it's own? I have her separated from the rest of the chickens so she doesn't get trampled. We already have one hen with one leg (thanks to a raccoon); I really want to help this one return to normal. The only reason I waited so long to post is because of internet trouble at home. Please, any advice would be great!

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    You could try to splint it, either a hard one, or a soft. For the hard one, you could take popsicle stinks and wrap that with medical adhesive tape. You you also just try wrapping it in the tape itself to see what happens.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. Peregrine

May 28, 2009
    North Georgia
    Should I splint it with the knee straight or bent? If it is the tendon, will it heal itself, or will my chick always have a floppy leg?

4. Peregrine

May 28, 2009
    North Georgia
    Another possibility is that her hip (thigh) is dislocated. I felt her leg more closely this evening. Her thigh is also limp, and when compared to the one on the opposite side, feels a little bit more forward. If this is the case, is it possible to pop it back in? Or should we just let her get big enough to eat, then not deal with it anymore? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by