How do I fix an agressive drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bekah095, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Bekah095

Bekah095 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2015
    I have a white and fawn runner drake and he is so mean! I raised him since he was a duckling and was always very nice to him. He charges me and bites me and attacks my feet. I have a female in there with him which doesn't seem to help but I recently added another female. He wasn't near this aggressive when I added the first female in with him. With this new female he wants to breed her constantly and bites her HARD. I have a small pen inside their normal pen so that they can get used to each other through the fencing but it doesn't seem to be helping at all. What can I do? Does anyone want to buy a drake? [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keep him separated from the 2 females and find him a new home, Thank goodness my drakes aren't abusive towards the females I have but some drakes are, you don't want him to hurt the girls so either re home or just keep them separate.

How long have you had the newest female?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. Bekah095

Jan 15, 2015
    I got her yesterday and he was hissing at her. Today he isn't hissing but he aggressively bites her as opposed to sexually biting her. I thought maybe if I let him breed her he will calm down some but it didnt really seem to help. I don't think i ever did anything to make him that mean.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    This has nothing to do with you, but I would not let him be with the new duck yet, keep them side by side as your doing let them get to know each other, it will take at least a week maybe longer. but don't be in any hurry give it a chance for her sake. How does your other ducks act towards her? if she seems okay with her maybe put the new one and her together and let them get to know each other that way when you do try the drake in with them they will have already sorted out their pecking order, it can be tricky but hopefully if you'll be patient and give them some time he'll settle down and enjoy having 2 girls in his harem. I was thinking this had been going on for sometimes but only getting her yesterday is really pushing it for him to accept her. You might even consider getting another female that would give him 3 girls to share his affection with. Keep us updated.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  5. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    I have one muscovy pair, and Drake loves my Rooster as much, that looks like he wants to mate him, or just beat him every second when it's next. Rooster didnt try to get in conflicts with him. Sometimes bite a hens, he has tried to mate hens, and hens lame after.. but a Rooster looks a bigger sweet for him..
    Is any magic for this?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My rooster and drake use to get into fights and most of the time they worked it out themselves with me staying out of it. If your drake is out to injure your Roo, I would keep them separated. If your drake is mating or trying to mate your hens then he definitely needs to be kept separated from the [chickens] seriously a drake will kill a hen if he actually mates with her it's just a matter of time.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get rid of the drake. The potential for escalation exists, I had a Muscovy drake and RIR that used to 'spar'. One day the Muscovy decide3d enough was enough and killed the rooster - he then started attacking the hens. I then removed his head and got another drake.

1 person likes this.
  8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nothing to do with you. Extreme aggression can be an inherited trait. He very likely had an aggressive father or comes from an aggressive lineage. I would be hesitant to hatch any eggs fertilized by him.

9. Bekah095

Jan 15, 2015
    When I got the other female he got used to her after about a day or two so idk why its taking so long with the new one. The new female is a white and fawn runner just like my drake but the other female is a rouen. Maybe that would make a difference? The rouen female is just fine with her so I kept him in the small pen today and put the females together. I tried to let them mingle again tonight but he's just as bad if not worse. If he doesn't get better within a week or so he may become dinner. He's been mean ever since he hit duck puberty so idk how much longer i can put up with that...my patience is running thin.

10. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Yes, I understand, I time before i would even make a meal of them.
    But It's not that simple, that pair is together from birth, and they are not my birds, yes they are, neighbors gave them to me, cuz the cull all their flock, but wanted to ducks be with me, cuz they childs could go and see them and give food, cuz those birds was a present for childs. Btw, those childs dont care about them. So thats not a point.
    First when we bring them with my flock, 50 chickens, one main rooster, one cockerel that time. They go fast thru all teritory showing they're gonna be the bosses, while duck grab a hen, then rooster run there screaming and attacking once, but ducks are so dominant and just go forward till chickens just run away.
    Mainly all is okey, ducks often just push hens with beak makin them go away, so as chicken do to chicken. But mostly I didnt like how drake is minded versus my rooster, mby he just knew hes dominant, but drake want to take over. I have growing 3 more roosters, including my 9 months old Vorwerk, who isnt runing away from them like from fire, but do 'faceoff' if they come to him, till one just turn away. Mby together they gonna kick his ***, so I am interested how this all can play out with time.
    I had hold my old Rooster in hands, and drake doesnt like that. If I put rooster down and hold, drake is coming to us, and even scare a **** out of me. :D
    Like ready for war.
    That drake is strong. Duck kin is strong I guess.
    Mby holding rooster i need to slap that drake. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by