How do I fix this paint mistake?

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Sooo I messed up with a coop I'm building in the garage before I move in a month. 😆 The building part was fine, but painting might be the death of me. I caulked quite a bit in the inside so I ended up just painting it all white. Thinking it would make it easier to clean, I tried to seal the paint with Helmsman Spar Urethane and it's pretty bad. I imagine the smell will dissipate, but it's currently very strong, but worse than that this clear gloss is kind of...yellow. Attached a photo of the inside of the coop after applying the gloss to some, and then a close up of the dry gloss today.

Any tips for fixing this? Guessing it might just be sanding off and repainting with the white. Or paint over? Any tips to make the final result easier to clean?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 9.52.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 9.52.13 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.04.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.04.02 PM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.04.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 4.04.28 PM.png
    745.9 KB · Views: 16
It's a chicken coop.

Once the birds have been in there for a couple weeks the paint will be coated in feather dander and dust from the bedding and you won't notice the color. :D
Okay I should have clarified, you're absolutely right. 😂 The main issue I find with the color is just being able to tell it's cleaned when I do.

Okay I should have clarified, you're absolutely right. 😂 The main issue I find with the color is just being able to tell it's cleaned when I do.
If you're the one doing the cleaning, you'll know it's clean.
I take a broom as needed to the upper areas of the coop to knock down the dust and cobwebs.

Sooo I messed up with a coop I'm building in the garage before I move in a month. 😆 The building part was fine, but painting might be the death of me. I caulked quite a bit in the inside so I ended up just painting it all white. Thinking it would make it easier to clean, I tried to seal the paint with Helmsman Spar Urethane and it's pretty bad. I imagine the smell will dissipate, but it's currently very strong, but worse than that this clear gloss is kind of...yellow. Attached a photo of the inside of the coop after applying the gloss to some, and then a close up of the dry gloss today.

Any tips for fixing this? Guessing it might just be sanding off and repainting with the white. Or paint over? Any tips to make the final result easier to clean?
How is the coop ventilation? It sounds like you sealed it to be airtight.

I feel ya...I wanted my new coop to be like anything else I ever do.
On a side note I like how you did the roost bar like that! I wanted to take up less room with a huge bar the length of entire coop so this would be perfect for my situation! Thanks!

P.S. The diagonal roost is cute but most of it is not far enough away from the wall. The chickens that don't sit right in the middle of it will poop on your nice white walls. A cecal poop can be especially dramatic, running down the whole height, down to the floor. It's darker in color, too, and harder to clean off once it dries.

Back
Top Bottom