HOw do I get a blue EE? ANOTHER UPDATE: Got more new chicks!! PICS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BaGAWK!!, Feb 4, 2012.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I had a blue EE, she was BEAUTIFUL..I lost her and want to get another blue to replace her hopping I will get one as beautiful. What do I look for in a chick? How do I know a chick will have blue plumage as an adult? And if she's not blue, then how do I get a chick this color, whatever color you would call it! [​IMG] It's funny, when I first got her I thought she was the ugliest one, but when I brought her out from the brooder light she was so pretty!

This is a hard question, isn't it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Don't know the answer but I thought I'd say she was beautiful. Hope you find another one. [​IMG]

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Look for any chick with blue down towards the base of the fluff, or blue general down, but the best to do is look for striped chicks with pale instead of vibrant black or brown stripes. The striped ones will give you just what she looks like, (duckwing) generally blue chicks will give you other blues usually with less patterning, more simply blue coloration.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have a blue EE/OE... I put a Splash Wheaten Ameraucana roo over a X FBCM hen... got a pretty blue chick.

Three more recently hatched and they were all black so the BWA roo must have gotten friendly with her.

5. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Mahonri, FBCM?? Help me here, sorry I'm having a dim moment.

6. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Did your chick turn out blue only, or did it have the stripes like Illia referred to?

Illia, I CANNOT wait to pick out my new blue chick! Thanks for the advice.

7. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN

Illia do you have a photo of a chick w/the pale coloring? I want to make sure I choose the right color, how do I tell between the blue duckwung patterning like I want and a chick that will end up black and white?

8. heath_elisha

heath_elisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Beautiful hen.... I read this thread, because I want a blue ee too [​IMG] We just brought home 10 ee chicks - but no blue ones in the batch. Next time I will be paying attention to fluff!!!

9. BaGAWK!!

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I got some EE chicks recently, trying to go for some blues! How close do you think I will get to getting one like my original blue girl, 1st post?

Incidentally, can anyone tell gender yet by color?

Babies #1 and #2
    [​IMG]

Baby #3
    [​IMG]

Baby #4
    [​IMG]

Babies #1 and 2 again
    [​IMG]

10. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Chicks 1 and 2 could be female colors, but it's still early.
    My blue EE often start out as pure white chicks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by