1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I get a hen or two to go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sasquatch, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I am thinking of a small cage in the coop where she'll have a nest box, water, feed and enough room to poop. When she shows a little broodiness, I'll throw her in there. The roo has been taking care of business so we should be good that way. Unfortunately this week has been down to zero every morning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You really can't make a hen go broody - you just have to wait until she gets there on her own. At this time of year, Mother Nature might tell her to wait until Spring so that the chicks don't enter into a harsh environment, although I've heard of hens going broody just recently.

3. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    That is why I am picking up an LG as a back up. I want to get to where I am free from having to go out for chicks in the spring.

With the economy being what it is we are going to produce every bit of food that we can at home. Even if I have to till up the whole dang yard!

4. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Buff Orpingtons are very broody hens. Some breed never
    really go broody.

5. Sasquatch

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I have several Hens that I think would happily sit if allowed. They are all Black Sex Links amazingly enough. The high rolling RIR line I have could care less about their eggs.

6. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by