How Do I Get A Rooster Shipped?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kickinchicken, Feb 17, 2011.

1. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I found a rooster that I am planning on using for breeding....how do I get him from Missouri to Rhode Island?
    Where do I get the specific shipping box?
    What's the USPS procedure and cost?

Help!

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    You can get a box at www.boxesforbirds.com

At my PO, I have to call the airport and make an appointment for my birds to get on a plane, then just take them to the PO and drop them off. It's really expensive to ship birds, they have to go Express Mail. Some people put apple slices in with the birds, but I have never had them eat it, so I use low sodium green beans - they love them. If you know the box dimensions, and the combined weight of the bird, box, and bedding material, you can go to www.usps.com and calculate shippings costs. There is a discount if you buy the shipping on line, but the seller has to do that, as they have to print the postage label and put it on the box.

3. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    So would I be calling the USPS's airline or like Southwest or Delta or something? Who pays the airline or is that part of the postage? Again...all new to me.

4. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    My PO gave me the number for the "bird line" at my airport. I call them, leave them a msg with all the pertinent info (their answering machine tells me what info to leave) and they call me back to tell me when I can ship / when to have the birds at the PO. It's all included in the shipping charge you pay the PO.

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you checked with your local chicken farmers?
    Out here in Ohio, seems as if there is a rooster needing a home every once in a while; I get phone calls when I least need a roo, friends asking if I know anyone wanting a free roo in need of a home. I love how these people try to find a new home for their extra boys rather than just cull them quickly.

6. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:...but I think it's just "Chicken Math Disease" causing the search for good roo re-homes. New to chickens, so dang excited about the colors, dispositions, eggs, fancy feathers.......... then we get a babyroo that looks pretty great and start thinking "somebody probably wants this" so we're slow to cull until its proven without doubt that nobody wants him.

Sometimes there's no better place for an unwanted roo than a stewpot. But its always worth a try!

7. kickinchicken

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Well, no one in my area is rehoming a sultan roo. This is why I am shipping one from Missouri. I will tell the current owner what to do. Thanks so much for all the great advice. By this time next year I will be selling sultan chicks and hatchin eggs.

Ashlee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by