how do i get all the legalities to raise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duff83, Nov 16, 2008.

1. duff83

duff83 New Egg

Nov 16, 2008
    iv scowered the internet to no avail... so i throw my self into the mercy of the wise BYC forum membership;) i live in the metro detroit area of michigan. im interested in owning and raising migratory waterfowl. wood ducks, red heads, pintails, gadwall, birds of that type. north american migratory waterfowl. can any one send me a link or any info so that i can find out what permits i need and if any current permits i own inhibit me from owning. thank you very much.

2. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I've had a permit for wood ducks. You need to have a migratory bird permit to be able to sell or dispose of the birds. Apparently you don't need a permit to actually have the ducks but the person selling them to you must have a permit and if you ever want to sell or dispose of them you'll need a permit too.

Here in PA we have to have a permit from the PGC also since wood ducks are native here. In order to get the permit I needed to have the federal migratory bird permit which meant I needed both permits no matter what I did with the birds.

It's a bit complicated and you need to have some things like a letter saying your local gov doesn't have an ordinance against keeping them and a picture or diagram and description of your facilities(doesn't have to be fancy).
    The PGC also had to do a yearly inspection.

I think the permits cost $25 each per year.

Here is where you'll find some detailed info for the federal permit. Sorry, I don't know how to post a link.

http://www.fws.gov/permits/mbpermits/regulations/regulations.html

3. duff83

duff83 New Egg

Nov 16, 2008
    well i didn't want to post this but i am a taxidermist, how ever my reasoning for raising the birds is not to kill them and sell them or stuff them. iv been an avid duck hunter and waterfowl admirer for some years now and id like to have a flock of my own for reference and study. i have no intentions what so ever to sell them or kill them. i have a federal migratory bird permit for taxidermy, so im covered there. what your saying is that its all up to local ordnance and then im basically good to go.

4. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Hmmm interesting Duff! [​IMG] You might be all set.

5. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    It depends on your state laws. The Pennsylvania Game Commission requires a permit to have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by