How do I get chickens to be less noisy?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cutechick53, Oct 27, 2014.

1. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    I am writing a letter to 5 of my neighbors asking their permission to have chickens (that's the ordinance here in Phoenix) and I want to include a coop plan. I am gonna put silver sand in their run, and surround the chicken coop in a half circle in raspberry and blueberry plants. (The ones I chose are 5 ft. tall) I also want to assure that they aren't gonna be TOO noisy. How do I keep them from squawking too loud?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Other than not owning roosters, there's not anything else you can do. Hens are pretty quiet unless a predator is afoot or when they join the egg song chorus. It is still quieter than a lawn mower, dog bark, boom box, train whistle, loud muffler, weed eater, car horns and lots of other things urbanites are accustomed to hearing.
    Actually rooster crows are lower in dB than those things too.
    I have roosters in my back yard and if the windows are closed, I can't hear a crow but I can hear boom boxes, mowers and the train that's 3 miles away.

ETA
    Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  3. cutechick53

cutechick53 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2013
    Arizona
    Thanks! I guess your right- my other chickens (R.I.P.) weren't that noisy. I'm just gonna try to keep them(if I get new ones) occupied. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by