1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I get her to lay eggs in her new coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by erine017, Jul 7, 2016.

1. erine017

erine017 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2016
    I just recently moved my laying chicken into a new coop.
    But she continues to want to go to her old Coop to lay eggs.
    Which wouldn't be a problem but I need to use the old coop for a new chicken. Please help me transition her to the new coop laying comfortably. She sleeps in new no problem. And has five nesting boxes in the new coop. What do I do help me

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Chickens form bonds to certain places. If this was not true then chickens would be unable to find their nest and would lay in a different place each and every day. This would hamper the chickens reproductive success. Try moving the hen in question to a different location about 2 miles away and leave her there for 72 hours. This should be enough time for her to lose the imprinting of her old nest location.

3. AriadneCastro

AriadneCastro Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2016
    Sintra, Portugal
    Put some fake eggs in the new nest, she'll get the hint... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    How about locking her and her flock in the new coop for couple of days to get them used to the new coop and nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by