How do I get him to belong??? I don't want baby chick to be alone.

dandydoodle

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
georgia
I had a broody hatch born about a week and a half ago which, 2 chicks hatched. My broody quit sitting on 3 eggs and I candled. Out of the 3 eggs that were left, one was very developed and so I put it in the incubator. Okay, so as of today it has been about a week to a week and a half since the first babies were born. Today the baby I put in the incubator hatched. It is a week and a half later. The first baby are being taken care of by a broody mom. Is there anyway I can bring this baby into the mix. I know it is a week and a half younger. If I try to give this baby to the momma will she kill it.

Thanks for all the advice,
Michelle

You can only try..slip him under her in the middle of the night and watch in the morning. If she tries to kill him, get him out. No one can say how she will react unless you try it and see.

I wouldn't chance it, the new one will be smaller than the ones she hatched earlier and either she or the older chicks, or both will probably gang up on him. Of you sneak him under her at night, she's liable to push him out and he'll be too cold, or you'll find him dead in the morning.

love.gif
hugs.gif
Can you sneak one of the chicks away from mom to put with the single chick? I've had pretty good luck combining hatches that were a couple weeks apart. Once the newer chick is strongly on it's feet.
hugs.gif
love.gif
fl.gif

Sorry I didn't notice the broody only had two chicks!!!
hugs.gif
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Last edited:
I would do the same thing and take the chicks away from the broody and put them in with your baby. You never know what the broody and the other chicks will do. Some may accept the little one and some will kill it or reject it.

Man I just keep kicking myself over this hatch.
he.gif
I guess I learned a big lesson though, if another chicken lays her eggs in with the broody even if she has had them a week when you find them take them out. That way they don't get to far in development. The reason why is the broody mama won't sit on the ones that take that long to hatch out, she will abandon them. When she abandons them you don't know exactly what day your on so it makes incubating really hard. This baby was shrink wrapped but, I did a hatch assist and little one is doing great. Then there is the problem with age difference unless you don't have any chicks in the brooder.

I don't think there is that big of a difference in the size of the chicks that they wouldn't get along. I have also had success with putting chicks together that are a week or so apart in age. I am just worried about the broody. I don't want to put it with her at night because, they wake up before I do and I don't want to find it dead in the morning. Little one has gone through a lot to make its way in the world, I don't want a broody mama to kill it. I was thinking about maybe taking the baby down there during the day so I can be with them. Uggh, this was so not planned out. This baby was originally one of the eggs she was sitting on. When of the other hens slipped it in after she had been sitting on the other two about a week and half. When I found it I honestly thought everyone was closer apart in age but, I guess not by judging on when this little one hatched. So this baby was suppose to be one of her babies.

I have chicks in the brooder and they are a couple of months old. I am really scared to put these little babies with them for because, I am scared they will be trompled. At the same time I really don't want to put it with the broody because, I am scared she will kill it. I really want the broody to be able to raise her babies though. There is no way my husband will let me raise it in the house for a little while. If he would I might take one of the chicks from the broody and keep them inside until their size catches up some with the two month old. Ugggh, sorry for the rambling, I am trying to talk it out in my head. So I have a really large brooder but, only one heat lamp. Do you think if I put a cage in the brooder with the two month olds in it, not right next to the light. You know leave enough room so that I can put the little ones right by the light. Do you think the 2 month olds will be okay? The heat stays in the brooder pretty good I shut the doors and cover the part that has wire so no air can get in. I want the little ones to be able to get right up by the light. Does this sound like it might work. That way the 2 month olds can still be with the light but can't tromple the babies. If this sounds like it might work I might do this.

Thanks so much for the help,
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom