how do I get lavender color in scovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RedRoosterFarm, Aug 17, 2011.

1. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Hi all! I have every color scovy under the sun and think I finally got a few lavenders in my breeding but cant tell until they get a bit older. My problem is that I have no idea how I got lavender or how to get it??Can anyone tell me what colors I should be breeding to get lavender? Thanks!!

RRF

2. DonaldFan

DonaldFan Chirping

Aug 16, 2011
    San Diego
    May be from a recessive gene that your other birds carry. I think that's the case from a few chicken breeds.

3. learycow

learycow Crowing

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I am curious too! I have 3 muscovies, all are black and white pied. Out of the 22 duckings the 2 hens hatched, I got chocolate piers, black and white pied, black, white with a spot on the head, and 3 that I think might be lavender. I'll post a pic later so everyone can see. But I'm curious too. I was very surprised to get so many different colors from black and white birds!

4. If you got lavender, the gene was already in your stock somewhere, adn 2 birds, each with the gene are required to breed true. If you breed lavender to lavender, all offspring will be lavender. Lavender is a very light and even shade of grey. In muscovies there is a silver (maybe a dilute of lavender or ?) and there is also blue. Post pics of your lavenders so we can help you decide which of these colors you might have. BTW, i would buy lavender babies or eggs from you - been looking for lavender everywhere!

5. Quote:Me too!

6. learycow

learycow Crowing

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Here is one, this one is about 4-5 weeks old. There is a shadow casting over it, the duck really isn't light and dark. It's one solid color. But the bill and the legs are grayish. The feet are white though.
    [​IMG]

Here is the other one. The duckling in question is the third from the left. The one with the gray bill. I have 2 like this, these are 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by