1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do I get lavender color in scovies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RedRoosterFarm, Aug 17, 2011.

1. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Hi all! I have every color scovy under the sun and think I finally got a few lavenders in my breeding but cant tell until they get a bit older. My problem is that I have no idea how I got lavender or how to get it??Can anyone tell me what colors I should be breeding to get lavender? Thanks!!

RRF

2. DonaldFan

DonaldFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    San Diego
    May be from a recessive gene that your other birds carry. I think that's the case from a few chicken breeds.

3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I am curious too! I have 3 muscovies, all are black and white pied. Out of the 22 duckings the 2 hens hatched, I got chocolate piers, black and white pied, black, white with a spot on the head, and 3 that I think might be lavender. I'll post a pic later so everyone can see. But I'm curious too. I was very surprised to get so many different colors from black and white birds!

4. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

If you got lavender, the gene was already in your stock somewhere, adn 2 birds, each with the gene are required to breed true. If you breed lavender to lavender, all offspring will be lavender. Lavender is a very light and even shade of grey. In muscovies there is a silver (maybe a dilute of lavender or ?) and there is also blue. Post pics of your lavenders so we can help you decide which of these colors you might have. BTW, i would buy lavender babies or eggs from you - been looking for lavender everywhere!

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Me too!

6. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Here is one, this one is about 4-5 weeks old. There is a shadow casting over it, the duck really isn't light and dark. It's one solid color. But the bill and the legs are grayish. The feet are white though.
    [​IMG]

Here is the other one. The duckling in question is the third from the left. The one with the gray bill. I have 2 like this, these are 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by