How do I get my chickens to drink out of their new waterer?

Tarcyw

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2020
Hi all! I’ve had my chickens drinking out of a regular waterer since day one. We have 7 chicks that are about 2 1/2 months old, and we moved them outside only a few weeks ago. We made this great chicken waterer out of a sports cooler using those red drink cups where the chickens need to push the yellow knob inside for more water to come out. (Just in case the picture didn’t post for all since I’m on an IPAD). They’re not using it and I don’t feel comfortable in the heat just taking away their old waterer, but maybe I need to just do that and just continually go out there to help them see how to get new water. I pushed it with their beaks and I put treats in the cups so they would bump it and get the idea, didn’t work. Any other ideas, chanting, dancing under the moonlight, speaking in toungues? Anybody need to just give up?

Attachments

• 2009E7BC-28CE-4368-AEE3-327B3FE15810.jpeg
    2009E7BC-28CE-4368-AEE3-327B3FE15810.jpeg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 77
The cups with the yellow tabs don’t work very well. The chickens either can’t or don’t want to hold it down for a few minutes while they are waiting for their water. It’s tough on the chickens, and those things break extremely easily. I use the Rent-A-Coop watering cups and they work great.

I would leave their old waterer out. It’s better leaving it out so they get enough water than trying to get them to transition to a difficult drinker system in the heat.

Last edited:
The cups with the yellow tabs don’t work very well. The chickens either can’t or don’t want to hold it down for a few minutes while they are waiting for their water. It’s tough on the chickens, and those things break extremely easily. I use the Rent-A-Coop watering cups and they work great.

I would leave their old waterer out. It’s better leaving it out so they get enough water than trying to get them to transition to a difficult drinker system in the heat.

Thanks! I hadn’t seen those and I like them much better!

Wait until the weather cools and their good sense to develop a little more.
At their age while they're becoming actual chickens you aren't teaching them anything they're at an impossible age incredibly scatterbrained even for chickens.:)

Hahaha! That makes sense! I’m glad they get more common sense. Good to know, thanks!

I would certainly leave the old water available during the summer heat.

But you could choose to leave the cup waterer available as well--they might catch on about using it. (Or whatever other kind of water you might want to later switch them to.)

Extra water sources are not a problem for the chickens, just for the person who might get tired of refilling and tending those extra water sources :)

Got the rent a coop water cups and love them. And the chicks are using them! I kept their old waterer in there as well so I’ll put the weekly sav a chick electrolyte solution in that and we move it into the coop at night for now since it’s so hot and they’re new to this outside stuff. Thanks for the help all!

Attachments

• 83801B51-380F-43B8-9CA7-A59866E4C19C.jpeg
    83801B51-380F-43B8-9CA7-A59866E4C19C.jpeg
    921.6 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom